First coues deer.

Elkeater

I like you guys so I'll share.

After living in AZ for two years I killed my first coues deer. Hunted with my kid the first couple days then spent Sunday checking out some new country. Had to work a bit yesterday but got out last night. Saw a couple does and a bear but nothing else. Drove around the other side of the mountain after dark, slept in my truck. Woke up this morning and hiked in to little glassing knob and found about 10 deer in as many minutes. Saw this guy at about 800 yards which is 200 yards further than my personal limit on critters so i trotted to the ridge between me and him which put him at 412 yards. By the time I got all set up he was at 392yards. I dialed up 5.5 MOA, and no wind. He turned sideways and I shot him. One shot and a couple leg kicks was about it.

Rifle is a semi custom built on a rem700 SA. 24" proof barrel in .7-08ai in a Mesa precision altitude stock with a Zeiss conquest v4 4-16x44 and a silencerco harvester evo suppressor. It's driving a 140gr absolute hammer at 3003fps. Impact velocity would be about 2280fps with about 1600ftlbs of energy. Entrance was a caliber size hole, exit was a 1.5" hole surrounded by 2-3 smaller holes where the petals came out. Gutless method so no real internals but they Sounded like liquid.
E0A4CBD1-6B39-41BE-AB16-0B4BA70BF547.jpeg

That's a very respectables deer for a 'first time' coues buck. Congrats on your successful hunt. If you don't mind sharing, which unit were you hunting?