Stuck between which powder to select and brass suggestions

Nice! I'm not familiar with the differences between my 111 trophy hunter and the LR I'm assuming barrel length? Same 9.5 twist? And whenever h1000 comes in I think that will be my powder I'll be working with and next bullet probably nosler accubond 168gr (called them today they claimed I would stabilize up to 175gr) thanks for the feedback!

What's your seating depth off the lands at 3.290 .250"? I know it's big on a factory length cartridge but I know it can help on some of the 7rm
Yes, 9.5 twist. 26" barrel, including brake. I have the tools to measure my throat / seating depth off lands, but have not done it since the accuracy is acceptable. Just running it with SAAMI coal spec's. I think the Long Range Hunter has a slightly heavier barrel. Also, have a buddy with the same, but newer LRH shooting the same load, with the similar results. The attached photo is of both the 162 ELDX - 3 rounds on the 4" orange circle / and 160 gr Accubond - 3 rounds along right side. All other load data is the same as listed above. Both shot at 600 yds. Not so sure about 168's or 175's thru a 9.5 stabilizing? Maybe? Let me know if it works out.

Attachments

• IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    799.8 KB · Views: 109
Yes, 9.5 twist. 26" barrel, including brake. I have the tools to measure my throat / seating depth off lands, but have not done it since the accuracy is acceptable. Just running it with SAAMI coal spec's. I think the Long Range Hunter has a slightly heavier barrel. Also, have a buddy with the same, but newer LRH shooting the same load, with the similar results. The attached photo is of both the 162 ELDX - 3 rounds on the 4" orange circle / and 160 gr Accubond - 3 rounds along right side. All other load data is the same as listed above. Both shot at 600 yds. Not so sure about 168's or 175's thru a 9.5 stabilizing? Maybe? Let me know if it works out.
Absolutely solid info will do when I get there thanks! Just waiting on my competition redding dies I sent my old dies back yesterday

Hi guys, I'm somewhat newer to reloading.
My rifle is a savage 111 trophy hunter xp chambered in 7mm RM factory action and barrel (9.5 twist)

My bullet selection for this time and development is the hornady eldx 162 grain
I've been working with (I wanted hodgdon) imr 7828
Temperature range is a factor for my hunting regions I'm in az in hot regions or hunt up north in the cold or maine/Wyoming
My primer selection is federal premium GM215M
I do have a bunch of factory once fired federal winchester super and Remington

New brass I have a bag of hornady

The powders that make the list for me are (probably going to be between the first two)
Hodgdon 4350
Hodgdon retumbo
Hodgdon 4831
H1000

The brass I have I don't mind using because I've seen 9 million inconsistent reviews on brass all besides norma which I cant seem to find otherwise that would be it... and nosler is available but spans the spectrum on feedback

So given my info and direction im looking for accuracy not for inside 400 or 600 yards but beyond .... specifically on these two topics what are your opinions for primarily powder and I'd like to hear brass suggestions
I had NO LUCK with 162 gr ELDx whatsoever. Wasted a lot of time and money to get awful groups. I'm talking .75"(ocassionally) to 3" at 100 yards! I went back to Berger 168 gr VLD Hunting and it's hard to get a bad load. No matter the variable they are always under 1 MOA.

I've had the best luck with Remington brass. The primer pockets just never seem to get loose but CCI primers seem to fit tighter than others. I anneal every loading. Just retired some brass after about 15 loadings not because of any signs or loose pockets, just because I thought I should.

I use H1000 for temperature stability, CCI 200, Remington brass and Berger 168 gr VLD Hunting.

My best load is 70.2 H1000 @ .030 off the lands and groups .35"

Redding Body die, Lee Neck Collet die and Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die. K&M neck turner .002" shoulder bump with .002 neck tension, no crimp.

Good Luck and have fun!

I had NO LUCK with 162 gr ELDx whatsoever. Wasted a lot of time and money to get awful groups. I'm talking .75"(ocassionally) to 3" at 100 yards! I went back to Berger 168 gr VLD Hunting and it's hard to get a bad load. No matter the variable they are always under 1 MOA.

I've had the best luck with Remington brass. The primer pockets just never seem to get loose but CCI primers seem to fit tighter than others. I anneal every loading. Just retired some brass after about 15 loadings not because of any signs or loose pockets, just because I thought I should.

I use H1000 for temperature stability, CCI 200, Remington brass and Berger 168 gr VLD Hunting.

My best load is 70.2 H1000 @ .030 off the lands and groups .35"

Redding Body die, Lee Neck Collet die and Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die. K&M neck turner .002" shoulder bump with .002 neck tension, no crimp.

Good Luck and have fun!
I'm thinking I'll be going the h1000 route federal gm215m probably try my luck with properly prepped and neck turned hornady brass... and I'm thinking of going up to nosler accubonds I've heard absolutely amazing and absolutely terrible with eldx now and I noticed my groups were a bit worse than I expected honestly

Redding competition neck die redding competition seating and body die .002" bump and redding competition shell holders will be my process for the loading not in that order obviously
Bergers are absolutely to come
Thanks for the confirmation

been shooting 7mmRm's my entire life (since 71) and throughout the years there have been powders that have always produced 4831, 7828, rel22, win785, win WMR, norma MRP, being a few but the newer powders rel26,28,33, h1000, retumbo, ramshot magnum, in my eyes have proven to give better performance thru out the year over many different temps. If I had to pick one powder today for the 7mmRM....H1000, great case fill, good temp stability, clean burning and in my 4, 7mm's.....accurate. seeing as your moving and most of your stuff is probably packed up reading about powders may be of some interest....https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935632190/?tag=lrhmag19-20 its a great book covering LOTS of powders and load data, Its put out by Handloader magazine and printed by Wolfe publishing. I use a lot of Nosler and Winchester brass I have even mixed them and they still shoot in the same place. 215m primers are perfect!!! For deer its hard to beat the 139gr interlock/interbond, they just flat out knock them down, I do slow them down though to 2800fps and they seem to do better then when I run them at 3k. For bigger game the 160 Nosler AB, Partition, Hor Interlock, Trophy bonded bearclaw. should do just about anything you come across out west out to 5-600yds. Good Luck on the move...…….

I have had good luck (good accuracy, good velocity, and low ESs) with RL 26, and with H1000. If I could get my hands on RL26, that would be my powder of choice, on paper. However, you have to be careful with RL26 at temperatures above 80F. It can become unstable. I think I read that you are in Arizona, so my vote would be the H1000. Others have gotten good results with Retumbo, but I have not tried it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.