Struggling w a new Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52

Brian6768

First time posting, not sure what I am looking for, maybe advice maybe confirmation of what I am thinking or maybe simple education.
I purchased a new Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 for my new Seeking Havac PH2 in 6.5 PRC in May. I had done a lot of research prior to purchasing, talked to mfgr. reps at several different optics companies before making my final decision. I am also partial as I have Leupold products on a muzzle loader, AR, 300RUM as well as Binos and a Range Finder.....a brand snob I guess but performance based as I have been extremely happy with all of their other optics I own.

I worked with my local gunsmith to have the scope mounted (using Seekins Precision 34mm rings), the scope was bore-sighted, columniation (?) maybe and told it was ready to go. He provided the 8.5x11 SiteLite Targets used to sight in the scope for my caliber, ballistics and a 200yd zero. I picked the gun up and went to the range. Started at 75yds and spent literally a box of ammo trying to get it on paper (a 4' x 4' target). As it ended up, I was shooting low and was still somewhere near 2'-0" right of the target after maxing out the windage. I know this isn't the right way to do it but honestly I was lost. I was eventually able to get the elevation dialed in by holding nearly 2'-0" off the target. Left extremely frustrated and took the gun back the gunsmith on Monday, targets in hand.

Needless to say, he was completely perplexed. He suggested we take the scope off, and restart the process. At the same time, he contacted Seekins to discuss the factory specs for the rifle, Seekins was great, actually called me to verify I was ok with them talking to him about my rifle first. They were able to verify that the rifle was in spec, no damage from shipping or anything else that could have been off during the manufacturing process. The scope was remounted, bore-sighted and I was sent back to the range. This time results were a little more positive. First shot was not on paper. Second shot was...barely (LOW AND RIGHT) at 50yds, same size target. After a number of shots I was able to get the elevation and windage nearly perfect but I was nearly out of adjustment on the windage. I was able to get 2-3 shot groups at about 2-3" then a flier 9" low and 6" right....this continued out to 100yds, multiple times. I was able to get my gunsmith on the phone and we worked through it for another 45 minutes. Could not get the gun to hold a consistent grouping. Everything was tight.....at a complete loss.

Attempt 3 - took the rifle back to my gunsmith, he removed the Leupold, mounted a Vortex 3-10 from another gun of mine via the same process. I went back to the range a week later and was shooting quarter size groups at 100 yds. I was able to repeat this time and time again. Seems like an optics issue to me? Gun is performing perfectly at 100yds. (For what it is worth, I am shooting 143 gr Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X)

Now.....here is where I am struggling as if that wasn't enough...….I contacted Leupold, explained the problem, and they promptly sent me a return label (extremely apologetic and helpful) and I sent the scope back. It has been there for more than a month. Took 2 weeks to look at it and decide they couldn't find anything wrong. I had to call multiple times to get a response. Ended up my guy had gone on vacation and it was sitting on his desk. He stated he would have their range master mount it on a gun and fire it 5 times. He thinks it will check out and will then send the scope back to me? When I questioned him on that he sayd he could call off the shooting and just send it back I guess I am at a loss. I asked about replacement, lack of confidence, its nearly a $3,000 scope and I want it right. Their warranty says repair or replace but he is saying there is NOTHING wrong? My gunsmith is saying something is up with the scope as the VORTEX is driving tacks......and before you state the obvious..... 3-10 power isn't going to suffice for my long distance requirement. Really worried I will have a $3,000 paperweight that Leupold isn't acting like they are going to stand behind. That may be overreacting too soon but my Wyoming hunt in October is rapidly approaching and I'm at a complete loss.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any suggestions?

At 100 yards to be that far off, it is most likely a Scope mounting problem. The vortex you mounted was obviously in different rings because the 4-24 is a 34mm tube.

this happened to me when my horse fell on my new 6.5 prc - it tweaked the rear ring so bad it bent the front one - these were DNZ rings. Scope was amazingly unharmed (it was a viper pst gen 2 5-25). I realized what had happened after the hunt when I took it to the range and it was shooting two feet low and to the left.

I have since mounted the same scope you have (4-24x52 VX6HD) with nightforce titanium rings and it has been awesome.

I don't know why you wouldnt let leupold shoot some rounds with your scope.

BTW - Leupold's customer service is awesome. They will stand behind everything they make.

Yes, different rings. I had to buy vortex rings for the 30mm tube that fit my rail.
I am definitely letting Leupold shoot it. It was the service tech that became dismissive and said he could just cancel the shoot and send it back as is..... I guess because I was becoming impatient when he surmised the scope was probably ok and could save me some time......

Thank you for the response....we have not ruled out the rings so I may try that next! Good idea!

It could be a lot of things...rings, action screw holes being off center, excessive cant, etc.

Is there a rail mounted to action or 2 rings mounted directly to action? What rings are used?

YEs there is a Seekins 20 MOA Picatinny rail (factory) mounted to the action and Seekins 34mm rings mounted to the rail.
Just seems odd to me that the vortex w new rings, also mounted to the same rail shoots light out?

Actually just talked to Seekins and they highly doubt the rings are the issue (unchecked of course) and will gladly swap out rings......

Seekins are top class, so not likely the problem. I wonder if the rail has been bedded to action? Always my first step, to remove any torque when tightening the rail.

Be sure everything is torqued to specs with an inch # tool.

Don't know what your groups looked like, but factory ammo in a new barrel is not likely to shoot bugholes. If your groups with the Vortex were tight, then it could be the scope. I would have let Leupold shoot it, instead of just checking tracking in their jig.

You guys seem to be missing the idea he was getting a couple close then one several inches away.
It's called erector failure. One of the most prominent signs of erector failure is a gold ring on the objective end of the scope.

Attachments

• A0E4B388-45D3-4A65-A7A9-DEDD064E39DD.jpeg
    A0E4B388-45D3-4A65-A7A9-DEDD064E39DD.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 425
Seekins are top class, so not likely the problem. I wonder if the rail has been bedded to action? Always my first step, to remove any torque when tightening the rail.

Be sure everything is torqued to specs with an inch # tool.

Don't know what your groups looked like, but factory ammo in a new barrel is not likely to shoot bugholes. If your groups with the Vortex were tight, then it could be the scope. I would have let Leupold shoot it, instead of just checking tracking in their jig.
So I went through a break in procedure. I couldn't find anything published by Seekins so I did some research on break in, found some suggestions and that's what I did-

I AM letting Leupold shoot w my scope mounted at their range. Maybe I wasn't clear but it was Leupold Rep that suggested calling it off and sending me the scope back as he doesn't think anything is wrong since his service Dept couldn't find anything. I simply said I want it right and expect for the money it will be made right.

the rail is not currently bedded-installed by Seekins-we (gunsmith and I) have talked about that also as a possibility- Seekins recommenced not needing to bed it-

to date I am 6 boxes in of factory Hornady ammo.

I was able to get on paper w Leupold second time out but this is directly after being bore-sighted right out of gun case and still having to adjust 15"+ in windage and 8-9" in elevation at 50 yds. I was set up for a zero at 200yds initially then moved to 100yd zero per gunsmith while trying to trouble shoot-

I will attach my last 6 shots at 100 w Vortex-
One I know I pulled- to me Vortex is tight- I was honestly ecstatic at that point to have that after 3 weekends of shooting and 6 boxes of ammo-not what I want but comparatively....I have confidence it's not the rifle.

my gunsmith has mounted and bore-sighted thousands of scopes- he is an avid long range shooter. I know it's easy to point at this and that but some of it I have to trust he knows what he's doing.Will make sure we address torque on top rail as well-Thanks!

I agree there are a lot of variables and very much appreciate the feedback!!!!

thank you!

Attachments

• 281F48F3-F6D2-46B4-8688-40643B68EA21.jpeg
    281F48F3-F6D2-46B4-8688-40643B68EA21.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 462
You guys seem to be missing the idea he was getting a couple close then one several inches away.
You're exactly right- got it close w Leupold, at least grouping, then a flyer- no rhyme or reason. Switching to Vortex it was completely eliminated- shot, adjusted, mark moved, adjusted, shot again- it responded to the vortex adjustment precisely- my terminology may be wrong but I think you get the point.

thank you/

I had the same issue a few years ago...was the erector same symptoms. Is it a Brand new scope? Did you max the turret out and run it all the way down a few times? No binding or anything? Any bad wear marks on the tube?

I can tell you, I have done fairly well w their customer service...however I have had a few that only know what others write down.

when you get it back shake that thing like it's going out of style, run the turrets to the max and back down. Do it a few times, bore sight it. Shoot a group and run a box test and make sure it tracks. It either will or won't

if it doesn't call them and tell them you wanna talk to a supervisor. Explain to them that it won't track and tell them you it will not hold a zero or track after recoil. They will take care of you.
Hope this settles your anger brother

good luck
Clint

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.