Leupold vx-6hd level system

kameron

I herd these scopes have a level system built in but cand find much about it, I'm kind of torn between one of these and a nightforce nx8 but I I kinda am leaning towards the vx-6hd

I got a screaming deal on one when they first came out with some kind of over the top holdover reticle that should probably only been on a ffp gun.

Didn't realize it has this feature and it always annoyed me that the reticle would fade so bad intermittently. I'd wanted thinner center crosshairs and this reticle had them but in the long dark we have up here the illuminated hairs helped, but they always flickered. So stupid me sent it back and found out.

Mounted it up solid and level and was really careful to get it just right, no such luck still flickered. Finally found out it needed a bit of a can't to stop... so whatever decides level is is about 2 degrees cockeyed in mine. I just stopped using the illumination and eventually decided the only reticle worse in black spruce than a non lit moar is the impact line. Scope is now on a rifle that gets used in the sun and summer and I'm very happy with it as it gets shot at 3x or 18x but rarely in-between in direct sun. So no flicker and it works peachy.

People always wonder why leupold struggles with or charges so much for illumination... I think it's because they aren't great at it. I've bought 2x more vx-5s since then for non dialers. I'm debating between the nx8 and another 6hd right now, and at no point is the internal level something that will sway me one way or the other.....

I leave the level feature turned off in mine, its basically useless. It flashes unless you are very precise on the level, and you have no idea which way you are off when you are close to level. Mine has under 1 degree before it flashes, but in the field figuring out which way you are out 1 degree can be hard. Much easier to just use a good quality bubble.
That said the glass is pretty good, mine tracks well and it does everything I need in a hunting scope.