Struggling w a new Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52

Well I can tell you for a fact more often than not if you screw one end of the rail down there will be a gap underneath the other end not saying its your problem but I certainly woul bed the rail no matter what seekins says about it and the rings for that matter there's been a couple threads in the last couple months about this.
Its funny there's always a Leupy basher come out when there was just a NF scope problem on a thread here last week and I've seen one myself.
They all can pump out a turd just like barrels.

Well I can tell you for a fact more often than not if you screw one end of the rail down there will be a gap underneath the other end not saying its your problem but I certainly woul bed the rail no matter what seekins says about it and the rings for that matter there's been a couple threads in the last couple months about this.
Its funny there's always a Leupy basher come out when there was just a NF scope problem on a thread here last week and I've seen one myself.
The difference is the NF threads get shut down and deleted:)

I had the same issue a few years ago...was the erector same symptoms. Is it a Brand new scope? Did you max the turret out and run it all the way down a few times? No binding or anything? Any bad wear marks on the tube?

I can tell you, I have done fairly well w their customer service...however I have had a few that only know what others write down.

when you get it back shake that thing like it's going out of style, run the turrets to the max and back down. Do it a few times, bore sight it. Shoot a group and run a box test and make sure it tracks. It either will or won't

if it doesn't call them and tell them you wanna talk to a supervisor. Explain to them that it won't track and tell them you it will not hold a zero or track after recoil. They will take care of you.
Hope this settles your anger brother

good luck
Clint
I will and yes we did-
It is BRAND NEW- direct from Leupold- not a retailer not a refurb.
My gunsmith did exactly what you suggested- he had the same intuition/ experience whatever you want to call it. Thank for taking the time to respond!

Thank you!
I can't say that I've bedded a rail myself but I've definitely watched videos about it and know exact what you describe- will take a look at that also!
Thank you!

I will and yes we did-
It is BRAND NEW- direct from Leupold- not a retailer not a refurb.
My gunsmith did exactly what you suggested- he had the same intuition/ experience whatever you want to call it. Thank for taking the time to respond!
Absolutely!!!

I had the same issue a few years ago...was the erector same symptoms. Is it a Brand new scope? Did you max the turret out and run it all the way down a few times? No binding or anything? Any bad wear marks on the tube?

I can tell you, I have done fairly well w their customer service...however I have had a few that only know what others write down.

when you get it back shake that thing like it's going out of style, run the turrets to the max and back down. Do it a few times, bore sight it. Shoot a group and run a box test and make sure it tracks. It either will or won't

if it doesn't call them and tell them you wanna talk to a supervisor. Explain to them that it won't track and tell them you it will not hold a zero or track after recoil. They will take care of you.

good luck
Clint

I'd call them while they still have it and ask them to do an erector check.

Thank you!
I can't say that I've bedded a rail myself but I've definitely watched videos about it and know exact what you describe- will take a look at that also!
Thank you!

I would never snug one end of a Pic base down tight and not even have a screw in the other end. Start at one end and turn each screw a little at a time until all are snug and properly torqued. Frankly IMO even if the base is very slightly bowed, as long as the screws are tight and the rings tightly secured to the base you shouldn't see the kind of issues that you are experiencing. Also I'd put as much distance as I could between the 2 rings and still have comfortable eye relief.

In your OP your gunsmith likely used a collimator. Boresighting is when you remove the bolt and look down the bore and center a target in the bore. Then you adjust with the turrets until the crosshairs are centered on the target that is seen through the bore. With a custom rig like yours the scope should have been gnat's *** on cept for the 20 MOA of extra elevation.

Last edited:
I would sight this scope in at no less than 100 yards. I had a buddy sighting in at 50 and when he took it out to 100 he was losing adjustment. JMO

good luck
Clint
Thanks again-
I have done everything you suggested as has my gunsmith. We are going to talk to Leupold on a conference call today. Thank you again.....not angry yet, but definitely frustrated....its why I started this process in January....with new rifle and scope.....thought I had plenty of time to get good range time and get her dialed in....now its getting to CRUNCH time.....

I would never snug one end of a Pic base down tight and not even have a screw in the other end. Start at one end and turn each screw a little at a time until all are snug and properly torqued. Frankly IMO even if the base is very slightly bowed, as long as the screws are tight and the rings tightly secured to the base you shouldn't see the kind of issues that you are experiencing. Also I'd put as much distance as I could between the 2 rings and still have comfortable eye relief.

In your OP your gunsmith likely used a collimator. Boresighting is when you remove the bolt and look down the bore and center a target in the bore. Then you adjust with the turrets until the crosshairs are centered on the target that is seen through the bore. With a custom rig like yours the scope should have been gnat's *** on cept for the 20 MOA of extra elevation.
He actually said he had done both.....and talked me through the technical aspects of the process. I have used a site lite myself for years just to get on paper then finetuned at the range and do understand the basics. I was not familiar with the term collimator until my gunsmith referenced it.

I agree.....what leaves me confused is that the exact same rail is being used w the Vortex rings and there is absolutely no issue whatsoever. Seems if there was a bedding issue w regard to the rail it would show up with the vortex rings an scope? Leaves me thinking it has to be between the Seekins rings and the Leupold. Hightly doubt its the rings but who knows.....

Thank you

I would sight this scope in at no less than 100 yards. I had a buddy sighting in at 50 and when he took it out to 100 he was losing adjustment. JMO
I agree-
Initial time at 75 was simply to get it on paper before moving to 100yds. After problems I came back second time, started at 50 and couldn't get it close consistently. Issue was magnified at 100. Third time our w Vortex, started at 50, was on, immediately moved to 100 and had fun. That's one of the targets I attached earlier. I had multiple targets with consistent results (all w the Vortex). My preference is to zero at 200yds which I will.....eventually!

Thank you!

YEs there is a Seekins 20 MOA Picatinny rail (factory) mounted to the action and Seekins 34mm rings mounted to the rail.
Just seems odd to me that the vortex w new rings, also mounted to the same rail shoots light out?

Actually just talked to Seekins and they highly doubt the rings are the issue (unchecked of course) and will gladly swap out rings......
It's the rings .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.