stocks for lr hunting

87predator

Gentlemen,
I'm building a couple long range rigs, and have to decide on stocks. I'm just curious as to what everybody is using/likes. Post what you like brand/model and pictures if you want. I'm going to use y this as kind of a poll and use what style/brand gets more mentions.
This will be for hunting only some carry, and some prone work.
Thank you in advance.

I personally like the choate tactical stock @ a shade under 4 lbs, it sports an aluminum V-block, a built in anshultz rail, side mounted sling studs, is built like a tank but balances well and makes carrying a heavy rifle a joy. Great from prone and still real decent of hand. At $220 off the shelf any day of the weak, I love em and look no further. There are slightly lighter ones out there but for functionality and frugality, they are hard to beat.

Manners, Accuracy International and McMillan are the names in high end tactical stocks. That said I ended up with a Greybull Precision stock. At the time I couldn't justify spending that much on the high end ones. I am pleased with the greybull stock.

It depends on your budget. Of course, the high end ones are well liked. If you don't mind the god-awful looks of an AI, they get good reviews. Manners and Mcmillan are hard to beat. Grey Bull is very good for the money, and B&C is what I use. The Choate is probably on the bottom of my list. Very clubby, but some like them. Try to find some examples to try for fit, that is the best way.

Your question mentions long range HUNTING. So on that note if your hunting more than shooting I really like the mcmillan game scout and A3 sporter. And if less than a 300 WM you could get edge fill to reduce overall weight of the package. The game scout for more hiking and mountain hunting while still needing to take a longer shot and if more stand hunting or prone shooting at long range the A3 sporter would be the way to go. The greybull is the same concept but built for a heavy barrel while the mcmillans can be had in standard hunting contours and many action inlets.

I am also in the middle of putting together a rifle and the game scout is going to be the stock. It will be a mountain hunting rifle but I want to be comfortable taking longer shots. So Im giving the game scout a try in edge fill.

Me too on the fill and I may add a 2 ounce DE adjustable cheekpiece.

If I like it I may switch to it for my rifle business.

Hi, this is Mossy49. I have a couple of rifle pictures on my post here. One is a Manners and the other is a B&C Medalist. Could be some options for ya.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.