Stock modification: Bell and Carlson Medalist to Manners EH-1

codyadams

Ok, I'll start off by saying that you can NEVER turn a B&C into a Manners EH-1, but I really like the look of the Manners EH-1, and while my B&C has served me well, I really disliked the blocky forend, I didn't like the way the rifle carried on a sling with a bipod attached, and I wouldn't mind shaving off a little weight, as I mostly use my rifle for hunting and I do some packing with it. So, I began working on my stock.
20170718_080036.jpg
20170718_080018.jpg

First, I took down the blocky forend to a nice slim profile. I did this using a hand rasp, sanding block, and sandpaper. I wish I would have had a band saw, it would have saved me some elbo grease and time, but on the upside, going this slow ensured I would not take it too far. *WARNING* Be prepared for ALOT of fiberglass to get everywhere. I kept a shop vac close while doing this, and wore rubber gloves, and still got some fiberglass stickers in my arm. While recontouring the forend, I discovered a couple of voids in the fiberglass. These would later be filled.
20170719_094632.jpg
20170719_094647.jpg

20170719_102742.jpg

I used Bondo to fill in the fiberglass as well as the voids, off the recommendation of a guy that did a similar stock rebuild on another forum....Honestly, I would advise against it. It simply seems too soft, and if I were to do it again, I would use my Devcon plastic steel I use for action bedding and then sand it down to form. But, you live and you learn. Hopefully the next guy/gal that wants to do this reads this thread and learns from my mistakes. Anyway....you can also see where I taped off a pattern, for my grip texture I would be adding
20170719_090108.jpg
20170719_090151.jpg

Next, as you see in one of my previous pictures, I began installation of my McMillan Flushcups. I will say they seem to work awesome, and are extremely solid. Installation was simple, I drilled a little over 1/2" deep with a 1/2" Forstner bit, which worked well and didn't chip the stock, Then chamfered the hole with my chamfering tool, because I wanted to, and then threaded with a 9/16"-18 tap, applied some JB Weld, and screwed them in place.
20170719_111254.jpg

20170719_140137.jpg

Next, I began working on my grip texture. Again, I learned a lesson here. I used JB Weld, and while I believe it will hold up well, the consistency of it simply wasn't thick enough. My intention was to wait till it got tacky, then wet my finger and make alot of little ridges in it, then when it got a little more set up, I would go back and slightly smooth out the sharp edges of the ridges I made, so it would be similar to the Manners grip texture. Well, I waited too long for it to set up, and by the time I came back, the best I could do without making it look like **** was use a wadded up plastic bag and press it on firmly to create some texture. The texture isn't as aggressive as I would like, but it is still some. If I was to do it again, I would also use my Devcon plastic steel for this as well, as it has a peanut butter texture and doesn't run like JB weld, which required me to wait and miss the right time to get it textured properly. With Devcon, it is the right texture as soon as you mix it up, and you have a several hour period after it sets some that you can smooth out the ridges.
20170724_082820.jpg

Next, came the painting. I used Krylon camo spray paint. I was going for the Manners type GAP camo....My green is too light colored of a green, and I was a little heavy handed with the sponge and didn't leave enough black showing. I don't hate it, but it just didn't come out how I wanted it. But, either way, here was my process.

I used almost an entire can of flat black camo spray paint on the base coat, after thoroughly cleaning the entire stock with acetone. It received probably 6-8 coats of black. After setting for 2 days to dry, I went to town with the sponges. I sprayed the paint directly on the sponge then applied to the stock. I pushed too hard, making the colors more solid than the sponge affect. I gave these colors 1 day to dry, then I used an entire can of Krylon Matte clear coat for protection. I don't know how many coats it was, it was just the entire can. I gave this 3 days to dry, then put the rifle back together. I can only upload 10 pics per post, so I'll put the finished product in the next post.

And here is the finished product!!!!
20170725_183859.jpg
20170725_184006.jpg
20170725_184042.jpg
20170725_184119.jpg
20170725_184147.jpg
20170725_184218.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with how it turned out, it feels way better in the hand holding it off hand, and while carrying it in my arms the blocky edges don't dig in. I don't know how much weight was actually lost, considering the extra paint and flushcups added, but I'm sure its a few ounces, but on a 13 lb rifle....probably not enough to matter. I have seen several people put rear hooks in the butt, however I'm not much of a fan of the looks of those, but if weight loss was the goal, this may be a good option. Just make sure not to go too deep, as there is a hollow portion inside the butt, and you will probably cut into the aluminum stud that goes into the grip area, but it is easily covered up. Just do some research, it will help ya out. Many people have done things like this. I have also seen people install adjustable cheek pieces with success, and it looks good, but I really like my Triad Tactical stock pack, I keep my kestrel, range card, and several extra pairs of earplugs in there. That Lil Beast brake from MBM is stinkin LOUD!! but, I can watch impacts at 100 yards, so that is pretty awesome....

Hey guys, Thanks for checking out my write up, and if this helps one guy/gal to do a better job than I on a stock rebuild, than it has been well worth my time!! Have a good one!!!!

Nice job! I did pretty much the same thing for a short action Savage Staggerfeed. Mine is painted in a solid color. It has held up through a shooting course. Going to be sending it off for some bottom metal soon.

Nice job! I did pretty much the same thing for a short action Savage Staggerfeed. Mine is painted in a solid color. It has held up through a shooting course. Going to be sending it off for some bottom metal soon.
Turned out nice. I finished a WildCat stock this past winter. They come as a blank and require a fair bit of work to finish. It was a fun winter project. They are very light as my blank was 17.6 oz. I was not as brave as you and had it dipped in KUIU VERDE 2.0.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.