Stock Fill Weight...How do you choose?

7mmaniac

Figure a Stiller magnum length action (7STW), McMillan HTG stock, and #5 or #6 fluted SS at 26-27".

Standard, Tactical, or Sniper fill. How do you determine which fill for a good rifle balance?

I want it to be right but not just extra weight to carry around.

I would ghet the lightes stock available then after the gun is put together ad weight ot the the butt to get the ballance right.

Drill a 1.125" hole in the butt under the recoil pad about 6-8" deep or what ever the stock will allow , drill it as high up close to the comb that you can in case another is needed.

Don't laugh !!!

use a NON Lubricated condom and gradualy fill it with lead shot till the desired balance is reached , then you can either weigh the shot and get a solid lead slug or steel made to fit the hole and match the weight then glue it in place. Also note that you will want to fill the front of the hole with paper so that the weight fit snug against the recoil pad so that it won't shoot loose and bang around in the stock later

light bulb BIGGER NOTE light bulb , As soon as you buy the condoms (only need a couple) notify your wife as to what it is that your doing because leter down the road when she goes digging trhough your tool draws looking for somthing to fish down the garbage disposal and finds an empty condom wrapper in their the $H!T will hit the fan , Turst me

I agree to build the rifle and see if you need the weight. But my suggestion would be a little different than leaving the weight in the stock. Once I knew how much weight was needed I would get one or two edwards recoil reducer and put in the stock. I would rather have weight that does something than weight that just sits there. Each recoil reducer weights about 8 ounces. :D

SES50

If i were you I'd use the barreled action to dictate the weight of the gun. It may be a little more nose-heavy, but all of my long range hunting shots are off of a bi-pod so it's never been an issue for me. Upcoming .338 Edge will have a Pac-Nor barrel done in the Varmint/Sendero contour.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts