Stock design....tell me I'm wrong

4xforfun

I now have 3 LR hunting rifles converted to either Mc Millan A5 or A5 coppies. I LOVE the look. I LOVE the stiffness. I love the accuracy. So, what's the problem??

Well, as an experienced 1000 yard BR shooter, I thought I would like the fact that the bottom of the rear of the stock behind the "hook" was flat like a LR bench gun. When the gun recoils, the gun slides straight back and the muzzle stays on target through recoil and does not rise.

Well, for a hunting gun, where the shots are very often somewhat uphill / downhill, target acqusition ( vertical ) is MUCH harder with the A5. Normally I would get a general setup and slide my gun forward/backward to find the target. Now, sliding the A/5 forward/backward does nothing..or at least very little, in the way of vertical adjustment.

I finally came to this realization last weekend. We had Three A5's and my 6-47L in a rem V-synthetic stock. It took less than 1/2 the time to cycle through all the steel targets with the Remington stock. We were shooting from my hunting shack, and I have about 15 pieces of steel out to 1500 yards. Just way more screwing around with the A5's trying to find the targets.

Anyone else notice the same thing, or is it just me???

That is why I like the Manners T2A stock. Tactical stock with the bottom on an angle like a hunting stock. Sliding back and forth slightly nets you elevation change.

The last stock that I had done up in an "A5" type stock is one of my 1000 yared br guns; BAT "M" 1.55 round RB/LP. I could not get a factory McMillan stock without waiting FOREVER, so I found someone who would custom make me one out of wood. I sent him some pictures of a McMillan A5 without the adjustable cheek piece/ LOP. I also sent him one of my A5's with both of those options. I had it built without the adjustments, and I also had him add 2" in length up front.

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFULL!!! He probably could make them with a "normal" but stock.

Attachments

• 20150326_152549.jpg
    20150326_152549.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 114
I have found the same thing. I switched from a Bobby Hart LRT (similar to A5 but with sloped section) to a Manners that had a straight stock and it took some serious getting used to. For a hunting rifle I agree that stocks with a slight angle to them from the hand grip back to the recoil pad are much quicker to get set up on.

I agree. I went down that route of getting a McMillan Game Scout on my hunting rifles. I thought it was a nice compromise for better functionality in the field. Unfortunately I haven't had time to shoot it in the field vs on the bench. But hypothetically it should allow for the micro vertical adjustment by moving it forward or backward since the forearm is based on the Remington.

Are you looking to sell any A5's?

I guess that I would consider it, but I will not take an *** kicking in the process. It would be foolish of me to think I will get 100% of my investment back. It would also be foolish if I sold at 60 cents on the dollar, also.

What I have now is the new Hand made Laminated wood copy of the non adjustable McMillan A5 with an additional 2 inches added to the fore end. He reinforced the whole thing with Carbon fiber and I had him add some flush cups. Inletted for a BAT "M" 1.55 round RB/LP. BBL channel looks like it will take up to a 1.25 straight taper tube. Pillar bedded. I was looking for a darker look, so he made darker and it has a hard epoxy finish.

The other is a McMillan A5 for a rem 700 with a thicker recoil lug, adjustable LOP and Cheek, Pillers and flush cups. Rem varment BBL channel and it has what I believe to be Surgan bottom metal with 5 shot clip. It is for the 300 win mag, but I tweeked it to take the WBY case.

Attachments

• 20130222_170020.jpg
    20130222_170020.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.