Stock Design

Rflshootr

Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation of why they put the cut out between the pistol grip and the toe of stocks? Is it a marketing ploy? Seems pretty useless to me. And then the swivel stud is right in the middle of the tracking surface if you want to use a rear bag. Then they make the ones with a hook. Does anyone use that?

1647570018292.png

Nothing about that stock is designed to track on a rear bag, stud or not. That stock appears best to operate off a bipod with no rear support. That's where the hook becomes somewhat useful.

I would call Boyds and ask. The hook is to hold rear bag and stock as one with support hand. I would prefer that filled like my KRG Bravo.

I did that a while back and the response I got was "it's a place to put your hand". So I asked why can't I put my hand in the same place without the cut out? "well I guess you could" was the response. Here is bell & carlson's reasoning that I found on Stocky's......just happened to be for a Browning...

Bell and Carlson's Medalist "Hook" Model was designed as a drop-in for the heavy barrel Browning A-Bolt short action and WSSM actions. It has an extended grip and a fairly wide forend with dual front sling studs to allow for both bipod and sling attachment. The hooked cutout underside is designed as a steady-holding feature - simply jam your off-hand into the recess for an isometrically-solidified rest, ideal for varmint, target or tactical field applications!

Isometrically-solidified rest? Huh?🤔 Who puts their off hand way up there? And how much stuff get's hung up in the hook when you're carrying the rifle?

1647572057427.png

Last edited: