Tell me why I'm an Idiot

If you had trigger work done that would require removal of the stock. You might check to see if your barrel is in contact with the stock.

I would also agree to just get to zero at 100 and then go back and check your impact for 50 if you plan on close shots.

I have never had the pleasure of trying to explain this in writing but sounds like a sight over bore issue. A bullet does not rise after it leaves the barrel. What makes it seems like it is rising is the fact that it crosses your line of sight through the scope at the zero distance. That is why ballistic programs like to know how high the center of your scope is to the center of the bore. It is done mostly at 100 yds as a standard because a 1/4 inch of movement at that distance is 1 click as you get closer it takes alot more clicks. That being said at 50 yd it would be 1/8 of an inch. At 20 yards being zero with a flat caliber and your scope is 1.5 inches over bore, at 40 yards makes you an 1.5 inches high. If your zeroed at 20 yards your next point of impact that will be dead on with no scope adjustment would be about 310 yards with a .243 standard 100 gr pill. If you zero at 100 your going to be less than .75 of an inch off at 25 yds and .25 off at 50.

This is of course assuming the gun and glass are functioning correctly!

I have never had the pleasure of trying to explain this in writing but sounds like a sight over bore issue. A bullet does not rise after it leaves the barrel. What makes it seems like it is rising is the fact that it crosses your line of sight through the scope at the zero distance. That is why ballistic programs like to know how high the center of your scope is to the center of the bore. It is done mostly at 100 yds as a standard because a 1/4 inch of movement at that distance is 1 click as you get closer it takes alot more clicks. That being said at 50 yd it would be 1/8 of an inch. At 20 yards being zero with a flat caliber and your scope is 1.5 inches over bore, at 40 yards makes you an 1.5 inches high. If your zeroed at 20 yards your next point of impact that will be dead on with no scope adjustment would be about 310 yards with a .243 standard 100 gr pill. If you zero at 100 your going to be less than .75 of an inch off at 25 yds and .25 off at 50.

This is of course assuming the gun and glass are functioning correctly!

Yea, what he said. That is what I was trying to say. You said it much better.

Steve

I wanted to have the gun be dead on at 50 yards - I've been doing a lot of fox hunting and that's roughly the range I can see in the woods at night. Their bodies are small and don't offer too much room for error. So I wasn't really concerned about 100 yards at this time.

I thought to change it to hit right at 100 yards, but I thought wouldn't it then be 8" low at close range? I think I see what's happening. The 8" isn't a constant. It's more linear (actually parabolic). Moral of the story: Sight it in to be closer at 100 yards and then go back to 50 yards and tweak it. Agreed?

Thanks!
No, sight it in dead zero at 100yds and at worst you'll be 1-2" low at 25yds depending on your scope height.

Don't overthink it.

If one sights in at a decent distance (150-300 yards), your zero is going to be quite reliable to perhaps 500-600 yards as well as any shorter distance and any elevation variation at short distances is easily quantified. Further than that one should verify your zero before shooting at something living.

If you sight in at 30 or 50 yards, you could be way off at 200 or 300 yards. If you know for sure that you will never get a 200 or 300 yard shot (never is a strong word...) then it may be of no consequence. But in hunting, it is not that unusual for things to not go to plan....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.