stock advice for remington 700 build

Check out Wildcat Composites in Alberta, they are one of if not the best Lightweight hunting stock available, Lightweight and very tough, full length carbon fibre I beam, very stiff forestock also, they are NOT a drop in stock, they need to be finished,bedded, painted, studs and but pad installed.

Can be ordered in different stages of finishing.

I've used over a dozen of them on custom builds, tried the McMillan Hunter Edge but prefer the Wildcat.

Everyone is hand made by Stu the owner, and take about 2 weeks from the time you order it.

Mcmillian told me it was a 5 to 6 months to build the stock I wanted. Is it worth the wait or better just to order the hs precision pss072?

It all depends on what you want. After building my first 2 customs on HS stocks, I will wait for McMillan from here on out. It is a very expensive project when building a custom rifle. It is worth doing how YOU want. But really, you are the only one who can answer the question of "is it worth the wait?" To me, yes, it is worth it. But it may not be for you.

Looking at the pss134 now.
Hey, that's a real nice looking, Stock ! Since HS precision stocks are, "GOOD enough" for;.. Remington, Savage, Cooper, the Military, the FBI, local Sheriff's and Police Dept's,.. I wouldn't worry about, the accuracy from, one ! I just ordered, the PSS 108 for my, "walking Varmint" Rem 700 in .22-250 . Good luck with, YOUR choice !

Manners. I have an EH1, EH2, EH5, T2A, and a PRS2 on order.

I have a couple McMillan too. The Game scout would be a great choice as well.

Here is my 7RM in a Manners EH2. Total weight with fairly heavy optic is sub 10.5lbs.

My 6.5SS in a McMillan Game Scout. Sub 11lbs with heavy optic.

I am having a custom 700 built in 7mm. it is a Krieger barrel contoured down to .750 at the muzzle. my question is what is a good aftermarket hunting stock that is not too heavy but will not hurt me in accuracy? I am new to the custom gun game and would greatly appreciate any help! thanks Cannon
I have a recommendation regarding your barrel choice. Since you have stated this will be a hunting rifle, I would highly recommend a lighter barrel contour. I really like the Krieger #3 contour for a hunting rifle. Packing extra weight in a hunting rifle is not a plus. Also a muzzle heavy, unbalanced rifle, is not desirable in my view. It is a fallacy that accuracy will suffer substantially from the heavy contours to say a #3 Sporter Krieger barrel. I have shot and carried the heavies. The only advantage I have found is that the heavies will not heat the barrel as quickly. In a hunting rifle, the cold bore shot is the only one of great concern. All the rest are just noise. A number 3 Krieger will likely be capable of greater accuracy than you or I can shoot. If it's not too late, contact Krieger and switch barrel contours. After that, you may want to consider a McMillan stock with edge fill.

...Mcmillian told me it was a 5 to 6 months to build the stock I wanted. Is it worth the wait or better just to order the hs precision pss072?........

I'm on my 3rd McMillan, and maybe I just got used to waiting. I've had others, and there some other good ones out there, but generally yes I think the wait has been worth it.

I'd call, and talk to them about what you want.

Waiting is the frustrating part of all custom projects, not a lot of instant gratification.

ok guys I appreciate all the info but this will not be a pack in mountains rifle it will be strictly for deer hunting in the ms delta. I have already purchased the barrel and I am getting it put together now. cerakote is next and anymore advice on the stock would be taken into consideration before my decision is made. and I need all the advice I can get.

@ Cannon,.. The H-S FAQ's say that, these stocks are "bolt on" and "may" shoot fine for you ! But if NOT, be sure to have the Action, properly Glass bedded, into the stock ! Ask around for, a Gunsmith, that's QUALIFIED, IF you are not experienced, in this work, to check,.. Pillar height, action "rock", bbl channel free float and straightness, etc. Very important as to, how "well" the Rifle will eventually,.."shoot" ! Go to Snipershide and type in,.. HS Precision stock stability, a 2010 post by pre64marksman and read what they have, to say about HS Prec. stocks,.. enlightening, to say the least !
PS; your decision to buy, the HS Precision stock is,.. a "good" one, IMHO! Good luck !

Last edited:
I just picked up this Bell and Carlson adjustable target/competition stock for my 6.5 Sherman. It was previously sitting in a Greybull Precision stock, but I wanted an adjustable cheek piece. For $400, I think it was a good deal. A little heavy, but I like it. Now I'm just waiting for a chance to try it out at the range. I'd also suggest a McMillan game warden. Adjustable or normal, they are very comfortable stocks.
IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

I am having a custom 700 built in 7mm. it is a Krieger barrel contoured down to .750 at the muzzle. my question is what is a good aftermarket hunting stock that is not too heavy but will not hurt me in accuracy? I am new to the custom gun game and would greatly appreciate any help! thanks Cannon

I had the same set up built a few years ago (#6 Krieger Contour). I went with the HS Precision stock PSV029, which is the stock that was used on the 1st generation Sendero rifles without the palm swell. It took a little fitting in the barrel channel up near the chamber area, but that was no problem. Also bedded the front part of the action, recoil lug, and about the first 1-2 inches of the barrel. I have been very happy with my set up and it shoots great.
Hope this helps and good luck

I'm having a gun built right now and the McMillan Game Hunter just came in after the 6 month weight (boy they were spot on with the time frame) and I went with the Edge fill as well

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.