Stiller Tac 30 action binding

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

I have a Stiller Tac 30 in 6 dasher that I purchased off of the forum. It's a nice rifle. My only complaint is that the bolt binds when I cycle it. Does anyone know what causes this and possible solutions there maybe? The action is already broken in since it has 400 rounds fired on it from the previous owner. I tried calling Stiller today but no response and no call back. Thanks a lot for your help.

Edit: sorry additionally, The receiver is painted from the factory, I tried heavy grease on the guide rail, and I tried it with and without the AICS mag in.

I have a TAC30 which is really smooth. My TAC30 has a phosphate finish. If yours is painted then that's probably the problem.

What part of the bolt cycling does the binding occur?

I have a TAC30 which is really smooth. My TAC30 has a phosphate finish. If yours is painted then that's probably the problem.

What part of the bolt cycling does the binding occur?

Sorry. I just got back to this thread. It's binding during the cycling on the guide rail. It's ceracoated. I removed the coating on the bolt head and degreased the entire action where it was bone dry. I then took an extremely light coat of lubricating oil (q tip size) and put it all over the bolt. It slicked the action right up.

Sorry. I just got back to this thread. It's binding during the cycling on the guide rail. It's ceracoated. I removed the coating on the bolt head and degreased the entire action where it was bone dry. I then took an extremely light coat of lubricating oil (q tip size) and put it all over the bolt. It slicked the action right up.

Glad to hear that worked! What oil did you go with? I also have a tac 30 and got it cerekoted and the it was brutally hard to cycle. I cycled the action over 600 times unloaded, and now has 300 rounds down the tube and has just finally smoothed up!

Glad to hear that worked! What oil did you go with? I also have a tac 30 and got it cerekoted and the it was brutally hard to cycle. I cycled the action over 600 times unloaded, and now has 300 rounds down the tube and has just finally smoothed up!

I'm on accurate shooter and there's a guy over there selling this stuff called hobo oil. It's this concoction that he made for his benchrest rifles. It's a wet lube, but when you put on a super tiny amount, it almost looks like a dry film. Something similar to frog lube when that goes on. It's been working fine so far.

I'm on accurate shooter and there's a guy over there selling this stuff called hobo oil. It's this concoction that he made for his benchrest rifles. It's a wet lube, but when you put on a super tiny amount, it almost looks like a dry film. Something similar to frog lube when that goes on. It's been working fine so far.

Right on! I will have to try some of this ever happens again! It was so frustrating. Getting a new gun and having it bind worse then anything ive ever used.

I'm still frustrated with Stiller. No email back and no return calls. Whatever, I won't buy another action from them again if that's their customer service.

If they returned my call and was like bro your bolts dirty. Clean it you dumba$$ that would have been perfect customer service. But nothing....

I'm just glad I figured it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.