Stevens 200 Rifle Questions/Help (Full Rebuild)

FireFlyFishing

Hello all,

My wife came into our marriage with a Stevens 200 rifle chambered in 7mm-08. The action is surprisingly smooth and I'm considering rebuilding it for her. I'm not interested in the rifle as it's pretty low on the totem pole compared to the rest of my fleet…as it sits now However, if I were to rebarrel with a carbon barrel and throw it in a nice stock, it would actually be a **** nice rifle. The questions I have for you folks:
  • Can I use a standard Savage prefit barrel on that action?
  • Will this action fit in say…a Savage 110 after market stock?
  • Any thoughts on an aftermarket trigger? Again, would Savage 110 replacements work?
I'm looking to stay with 7mm-08 as I have many reloading components and dies for this caliber. I'd be looking at a 20" barrel preferably a carbon. Stock wise..maybe a B&C or HS Precision To keep the cost down. Ditch the cheap Burris on there and look for a nicer light weight scope to mount on it. Light weight with a lighter budget build is the goal.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0468.jpeg

Yes the barrel threads and nut are the same as a Savage. Not sure if a 110 model is the same.
Is it a short or long action and there are at least two short action screw spacings that have been used. Boyds might be a good stock option. XCaliber makes a nice CF barrel for Savage rifles. I would suggest you get a precision ground recoil lug and a precision nut to match if you are going to invest in a new barrel.

Yes the barrel threads and nut are the same as a Savage. Not sure if a 110 model is the same.
Is it a short or long action and there are at least two short action screw spacings that have been used. Boyds might be a good stock option. XCaliber makes a nice CF barrel for Savage rifles. I would suggest you get a precision ground recoil lug and a precision nut to match if you are going to invest in a new barrel.
Hmm, good call on the recoil lug.

It's a short action.

Just found Timney makes an aftermarket trigger for the savage110/stevens 200!

Hello all,

My wife came into our marriage with a Stevens 200 rifle chambered in 7mm-08. The action is surprisingly smooth and I'm considering rebuilding it for her. I'm not interested in the rifle as it's pretty low on the totem pole compared to the rest of my fleet…as it sits now However, if I were to rebarrel with a carbon barrel and throw it in a nice stock, it would actually be a **** nice rifle. The questions I have for you folks:
  • Can I use a standard Savage prefit barrel on that action?
  • Will this action fit in say…a Savage 110 after market stock?
  • Any thoughts on an aftermarket trigger? Again, would Savage 110 replacements work?
I'm looking to stay with 7mm-08 as I have many reloading components and dies for this caliber. I'd be looking at a 20" barrel preferably a carbon. Stock wise..maybe a B&C or HS Precision To keep the cost down. Ditch the cheap Burris on there and look for a nicer light weight scope to mount on it. Light weight with a lighter budget build is the goal.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
View attachment 532492
View attachment 532493
View attachment 532494
The Stevens 200 is a sleeper, those things are the most overlooked rifles I think. They are usually absolute tack drivers.

Yes! I keep digging on the info and I think the 200 will line up with the 110 stuff. What contour barrel you have going there @cajun?
That is a sporter. They also make a heavy sporter. If you go with the heavy sporter you will need a stock inlet for a varmint or heavy profile. I had to do a good bit of sanding to float the BC stock for the Criterion sporter.

I think that's doable for the wife unit.
Thats a long action with 24" barrel. If your doing a 7/08 and go with a 20 or 22" you should be less than 8 #. The BC stocks are heavy. If you have a true short action you have more stock options.

I picked up a Model 200 in 22-250 cheap last summer for the action. What I have found is most of the factory Savage and few Stevens barrels I have had are very accurate for hunting parameters. I stumbled on to an HS Precision stock and factory bottom metal and so the action sits in that now with a 243AI chambered Savage barrel. Works great. I actually dont mind a blind mag though, saves a little weight. The Stevens barrel is still here and shoots good.

On the trigger I have reworked a number of them and gotten decent 2 1/2 to 3lb hunting triggers. I did buy a Elftman trigger and love it. I keep trying to get away from these darn Savage rifles but they shoot so good I keep getting sucked back in. I have 3 actions and around 8 barrels. I just started out with them to play with switch barrels. HaHa.

Your wifes action is the same as a Savage and is worth playing with. You may want to shoot it as the barrel may already be plenty accurate. Oh yes, it should be 4.4" between action screws.