Stevens 200 Rifle Questions/Help (Full Rebuild)

I picked up a Model 200 in 22-250 cheap last summer for the action. What I have found is most of the factory Savage and few Stevens barrels I have had are very accurate for hunting parameters. I stumbled on to an HS Precision stock and factory bottom metal and so the action sits in that now with a 243AI chambered Savage barrel. Works great. I actually dont mind a blind mag though, saves a little weight. The Stevens barrel is still here and shoots good.

On the trigger I have reworked a number of them and gotten decent 2 1/2 to 3lb hunting triggers. I did buy a Elftman trigger and love it. I keep trying to get away from these darn Savage rifles but they shoot so good I keep getting sucked back in. I have 3 actions and around 8 barrels. I just started out with them to play with switch barrels. HaHa.

Your wifes action is the same as a Savage and is worth playing with. You may want to shoot it as the barrel may already be plenty accurate. Oh yes, it should be 4.4" between action screws.
I have shot it. It's just ok. A tad over 1 MOA @ 100 yards. Nothing special. The stock is Gumby junk. I'm confident I could develop better loads for it, but I feel that would be getting the cart ahead of the horse.

Like I said in the other post, the action cycles very well. Better than some of the new savages I've cycled in the LGS. That does interest me as I think it would be worth throwing money into it and make it a legit rifle.

Hmm, good call on the recoil lug.

It's a short action.

Just found Timney makes an aftermarket trigger for the savage110/stevens 200!
You can also change the barrel nut if you do not like the factory.
1705338072334.jpeg

1705338193521.png

This is just an FYSA in case you want some bolt work done.
1705338383957.jpeg

1705338866099.jpeg

I picked up a Model 200 in 22-250 cheap last summer for the action. What I have found is most of the factory Savage and few Stevens barrels I have had are very accurate for hunting parameters. I stumbled on to an HS Precision stock and factory bottom metal and so the action sits in that now with a 243AI chambered Savage barrel. Works great. I actually dont mind a blind mag though, saves a little weight. The Stevens barrel is still here and shoots good.

On the trigger I have reworked a number of them and gotten decent 2 1/2 to 3lb hunting triggers. I did buy a Elftman trigger and love it. I keep trying to get away from these darn Savage rifles but they shoot so good I keep getting sucked back in. I have 3 actions and around 8 barrels. I just started out with them to play with switch barrels. HaHa.

Your wifes action is the same as a Savage and is worth playing with. You may want to shoot it as the barrel may already be plenty accurate. Oh yes, it should be 4.4" between action screws.
Check!
IMG_4321.jpeg

200s are excellent foundations for builds. IIRC, you can use the 12 point Big Horn nut as well.

Here's a pretty good compilation of barrel nuts and other stuff

Savage Barrel Nuts

The Gun Shack is a good place for Savage goodies

The Gun Shack

Sharp Shooter Supply

Sharp Shooter Supply

Northland Shooter Supply clearance Savage goodies, usually new takeoff stuff

Northland Shooter Supply

I can vouch for the criterion northland sells. I built one a savage in 280AI and one for my son on a remington in 7 mag. Both are solid 1/2 moa with handloads and clean very easy. Almost zero copper fouling during break in.

200s are excellent foundations for builds. IIRC, you can use the 12 point Big Horn nut as well.

Savage Barrel Nuts

The Gun Shack

Sharp Shooter Supply

Sharp Shooter Supply

Northland Shooter Supply
@Darr

Savage Barrel Nuts

The Gun Shack

Sharp Shooter Supply

Sharp Shooter Supply

Northland Shooter Supply
@Darryle
Do you use the same parts on a 200 action as you would for a 110?

Useful info. There are others. Pay close attention if you have to replace firing pin or parts in the bolt. Lots of design changes over the years. I miss the old SavageShooter forum days. Savage was at the cusp of being modular. Could have been the Harley Davidson of rifles, make it your own. Savage pretty much killed that off with so many rapid design changes.

I got started rebarreling with older Stevens 200 & Savages. Mostly preferred the older models until Sharpshooter Supply quit making their replacement trigger. Couldn't find a suitable quality replacement and quit using them. Don't know what really good replacement triggers for pre accutriggers are out there now. I demand a quality trigger for my use case. Anyone have info on a really good replacement trigger?

Had good luck with Accutriggers on newer guns. Spring replacement would bring down pull weight. Don't know if anyone still sells replacement springs.

Check the receiver carefully for bow/straightness. Found some bowed and banana'ed from heat treat after machining.
Ken Farrell makes some one piece steel scope bases that add stiffness to the action if you can stand the extra weight. I had measurable increase in accuracy on some rifles. May require bedding the scope base if the receiver is bowed, not straight.
You can put together some amazingly accurate rifles from Savage/Stevens receivers.