Stevens 200 Rifle Questions/Help (Full Rebuild)

Useful info. There are others. Pay close attention if you have to replace firing pin or parts in the bolt. Lots of design changes over the years. I miss the old SavageShooter forum days. Savage was at the cusp of being modular. Could have been the Harley Davidson of rifles, make it your own. Savage pretty much killed that off with so many rapid design changes.

I got started rebarreling with older Stevens 200 & Savages. Mostly preferred the older models until Sharpshooter Supply quit making their replacement trigger. Couldn't find a suitable quality replacement and quit using them. Don't know what really good replacement triggers for pre accutriggers are out there now. I demand a quality trigger for my use case. Anyone have info on a really good replacement trigger?

Had good luck with Accutriggers on newer guns. Spring replacement would bring down pull weight. Don't know if anyone still sells replacement springs.

Check the receiver carefully for bow/straightness. Found some bowed and banana'ed from heat treat after machining.
Ken Farrell makes some one piece steel scope bases that add stiffness to the action if you can stand the extra weight. I had measurable increase in accuracy on some rifles. May require bedding the scope base if the receiver is bowed, not straight.
You can put together some amazingly accurate rifles from Savage/Stevens receivers.
Thank you!

That was going to be my next question for you folks. Will I need to "true" the action prior to spinning a prefit barrel on there? If that's needed, I'll have to go to a smith.

Thank you!

That was going to be my next question for you folks. Will I need to "true" the action prior to spinning a prefit barrel on there? If that's needed, I'll have to go to a smith.
I never trued any actions. If you do anything to the action threads such as recut larger to true the threads, prefit and factory barrels will no longer fit.

Thank you!

One thing about the savage it has a floating bolt head. This is supposed to help keep the bolt inline with the barrel. I dont know of anyone who gets savage actions worked. It's not necessary for most intended purposes and certainly not worth the money.

Hardest part is getting the factory nut off the first time.
Personally, I use bored oak blocks lined with sheet lead sprinkled with rosin in a homemade steel bolt clamp arraignment. Apply heat to the nut with a paint strip gun, easier to control. Use a good barrel nut wrench, hit it sharply once with a dead blow hammer and it should pop off. May require a couple of whacks. Seems like a lot of trouble but it reduces the number one problem, the barrel spinning in the clamp and maring the finish. May happen anyway.

Useful info. There are others. Pay close attention if you have to replace firing pin or parts in the bolt. Lots of design changes over the years. I miss the old SavageShooter forum days. Savage was at the cusp of being modular. Could have been the Harley Davidson of rifles, make it your own. Savage pretty much killed that off with so many rapid design changes.

I got started rebarreling with older Stevens 200 & Savages. Mostly preferred the older models until Sharpshooter Supply quit making their replacement trigger. Couldn't find a suitable quality replacement and quit using them. Don't know what really good replacement triggers for pre accutriggers are out there now. I demand a quality trigger for my use case. Anyone have info on a really good replacement trigger?

Had good luck with Accutriggers on newer guns. Spring replacement would bring down pull weight. Don't know if anyone still sells replacement springs.

Check the receiver carefully for bow/straightness. Found some bowed and banana'ed from heat treat after machining.
Ken Farrell makes some one piece steel scope bases that add stiffness to the action if you can stand the extra weight. I had measurable increase in accuracy on some rifles. May require bedding the scope base if the receiver is bowed, not straight.
You can put together some amazingly accurate rifles from Savage/Stevens receivers.
Timney makes a pre accutrigger savage as well as rifle basix. I hear triggertech is supposed to be coming out with one as well.

Thx @FEENIX! I was actually considering that exact chassis. I'm curious if I paired that with a carbon barrel if the wife would be ok with the weight. I know it would improve the accuracy though.

Dig the barrel nut and the bolt as well!
If memory serves me correctly that Stevens is a staggerfeed magbox. I believe you'd want a centerfeed action in or to use a chassis. You could probably call the manufacturer and verify.

If memory serves me correctly that Stevens is a staggerfeed magbox. I believe you'd want a centerfeed action in or to use a chassis. You could probably call the manufacturer and verify.
Why would you want a centerfeed?

This might have been for long action stagger feed and if wanting to use a AICS mag in the chassis. Like I said a simple call to however you want to get the stock from will confirm whether or not it's an issue.

The Stevens 200 uses the standard Savage small thread for barrels.
Models 10,12,110,111,112, Edge, Axis, Axis II barrels will all work.

Some of the model 12, the 16, 116, the target actions, or anything that was chambered for WSM will be large ring.

My Stevens 200 was originally chambered in 7mm-08.
I reamed the factory barrel to 7mm-08AI.
Trigger work done myself & breaks crisply at 2lbs.
I kept the factory Tupperware stock, & stiffened the forestock with lightweight Bondo.
Bedding is Devcon.

For keeping it lightweight, and because i like to shoot longer distances, i use an EGW one piece 20 MOA rail.
The EGW rail is kinda tall, so it allows you to use low rings.
I use Vortex Viper rings.
I also attacked a Caldwell picitinny rail that mounts to the front sling mount.
A Green Blob, Atlas knock off bipod.

I finally took the barrel off at the 6,000 round mark.
It's now wearing a Savage Axis II barrel that was 7mm-08, now 7mm-08AI.

Picture is of my first 600 yard F-Open match. Wearing a 4-20X50 Sightron STAC. Yes, in the low rings.
I've even had my Sightron SIII 10-50X60 on it with the low rings.

Do this!!!
I do it with all my Savage rifles.
You won't believe the difference it makes!!!

Attachments

• 0421181233-576x1024.jpg
    0421181233-576x1024.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 12
The Stevens 200 uses the standard Savage small thread for barrels.
Models 10,12,110,111,112, Edge, Axis, Axis II barrels will all work.

Some of the model 12, the 16, 116, the target actions, or anything that was chambered for WSM will be large ring.

My Stevens 200 was originally chambered in 7mm-08.
I reamed the factory barrel to 7mm-08AI.
Trigger work done myself & breaks crisply at 2lbs.
I kept the factory Tupperware stock, & stiffened the forestock with lightweight Bondo.
Bedding is Devcon.

For keeping it lightweight, and because i like to shoot longer distances, i use an EGW one piece 20 MOA rail.
The EGW rail is kinda tall, so it allows you to use low rings.
I use Vortex Viper rings.
I also attacked a Caldwell picitinny rail that mounts to the front sling mount.
A Green Blob, Atlas knock off bipod.

I finally took the barrel off at the 6,000 round mark.
It's now wearing a Savage Axis II barrel that was 7mm-08, now 7mm-08AI.

Picture is of my first 600 yard F-Open match. Wearing a 4-20X50 Sightron STAC. Yes, in the low rings.
I've even had my Sightron SIII 10-50X60 on it with the low rings.

Do this!!!
I do it with all my Savage rifles.
You won't believe the difference it makes!!!
Fantastic info. Thank you!