Steel or aluminum???

Jack300WSM

I'm getting ready to get a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300wsm. So the whole purpose is weight reduction in a do all package. I've always used Leupold Mark 4 one piece steel bases on my rifles because I've always thought steel is better. I've found a Warne Mountain Tech one piece 7075 aluminum base to go with their mountain rings. As it looks like one of the lightest combos available. I'm actually considering mounting a Zeiss Conquest 4-14x44 w/ 1" tube just to keep the weight down but I've also gotten used to the sight picture and light transmission of 30mm scopes so we'll see. I'll never notice a difference, right or wrong?

I've never had a problem using quality aluminum bases and rings. There are many who advocate for the use of steel on steel due to coefficient of expansion differences between steel and aluminum. I say it's a non issue.

Even if you use steel mounts, at some point in the system you'll have to deal with the steel to aluminum transition unless your scope has a steel tube. But honestly, it's nothing to worry about.

probably doesn't really matter much. Keep in mind, your tube doesn't really change your sight picture or light transmission, it allows for more adjustment. There are some arguments to this point, but it really just boils down to glass you have, inside and out. The sight picture, and light transmission you've gotten used to, probably has more to do with you getting used to higher quality scopes in general, not the tube size.

I've used the same Warne on many rifles and a SML , none have failed me, no matter the punishment.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.