States to take my 6yr old son to hunt deer

In TN he can hunt deer. Bring a tent and sleep at a campground on public land. Your biggest expense will be gas. We are overrun with deer. If you make the trip, let me know, I'll help you get where you need to be. No sweat.
Do you have lots of deer on public land? Or can you easily get a lease or other land owners permission? I have 4 kids from 8-16 thst I would love to put in a controlled high yield situation. I can afford to pay for trespass fees or whatever.

I've got land in Oklahoma but, deer hunting now is not like it was in my youth for whatever reason you care to suggest. Bobwhite quail might be missing in Texas because of fire ants but, what about Oklahoma?

Southern states from the Atlantic through to middle America are most likely your best bets with a young hunter without getting into expensive guided hunts in Texas and similar areas.

If you are game, a Klipspringer in Africa would be my suggestion. A 20lb~40lb antelope would make an awesome trophy for a young boy! Or in my case, an old man!

Texas has a Hunter education requirement. I know they offer a one year waiver that you can purchase but I don't know if that exists for nonresidents.

West of I35, north of 10 and south of I20 the deer numbers are high and you'll see a bunch. As mentioned most are private. There are some youth draw hunts but I don't know if nonresidents can enter.

Good luck!

Do you have lots of deer on public land? Or can you easily get a lease or other land owners permission? I have 4 kids from 8-16 thst I would love to put in a controlled high yield situation. I can afford to pay for trespass fees or whatever.

I humbly suggest you are thinking about it wrong. Whether you can or cannot afford trespass fees, that is a terrible precedent to set for your kids.

Speaking as a landowner, the least of your concerns are trespass fines. Sure you can get mad and shoot my cattle but, again, what sort of lesson and sense of hunting ethics does that instill in your kids?

On the flip side, the jerk that randomly fires his pistol a few times in the morning and evening at random times during the day to keep the deer away is no friend of mine either!

Look at the Pennsylvania Game Commission's Mentored Junior Hunter Program. No minimum age, and the adult handles the firearm whenever you're on the move. There are over 1.5 million acres of State Game Lands in PA as well, most in game rich areas. Early Junior Hunter antlerless season in mid-October too!

You must be at least 9 years old to take the hunter education course in Texas. I think you can still hunt without the course up to the age of 17 as long as you are accompanied.

*Accompanied means: By a person (resident or non-resident) who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control.

I humbly suggest you are thinking about it wrong. Whether you can or cannot afford trespass fees, that is a terrible precedent to set for your kids.

Speaking as a landowner, the least of your concerns are trespass fines. Sure you can get mad and shoot my cattle but, again, what sort of lesson and sense of hunting ethics does that instill in your kids?

On the flip side, the jerk that randomly fires his pistol a few times in the morning and evening at random times during the day to keep the deer away is no friend of mine either!
Trying to figure out your suggestion. Are you suggesting there are game opportunities on public land? Every state is different. I'm from Idaho and I can tell you that on public land deer are sparse in locations that I could easily access with a 10 year old.

But in some of these states where there are roads everywhere and deer everywhere there is frequently very little public land. Maybe landowners just give out permission for kids to hunt but in this day and age I doubt many people are inviting out of staters free access to their land for hunting.

I am certainly open to suggestions and willing to travel

Sir I think you misunderstand what he is saying. "Trespass fees" are an agreed upon amount someone charges you to access their land. He is not talking about illegally trespassing, exactly the opposite in fact.

Trying to figure out your suggestion. Are you suggesting there are game opportunities on public land? Every state is different. I'm from Idaho and I can tell you that on public land deer are sparse in locations that I could easily access with a 10 year old.

But in some of these states where there are roads everywhere and deer everywhere there is frequently very little public land. Maybe landowners just give out permission for kids to hunt but in this day and age I doubt many people are inviting out of staters free access to their land for hunting.

I am certainly open to suggestions and willing to travel

If someone makes the effort to ASK me to hunt on my land and has GOOD HUNTING ETHICS, they are almost universally welcomed by myself. Shooting around nursing newborns or calving cows is a no-no.

What I really detest are IDIOTS who buy a 300WM and haven't shot 20 rounds out of it since new that hunt my land without permission, leave gates open, etc. I have had these idiots in lifted 4x4 pickups drive through gates (yes crush and destroy them), shoot a Buck, cut the antlers off and, leave the rest.

A little "common courtesy" goes a long way in most rural areas! Good hunting ethics will see you welcomed back and encouraged in the following years.

Sir I think you misunderstand what he is saying. "Trespass fees" are an agreed upon amount someone charges you to access their land. He is not talking about illegally trespassing, exactly the opposite in fact.

Where I grew up that is referred to as a lease or 'day rate' for people that commercially rent their land. TRESPASS has a specific legal meaning that is negative and criminal where I grew up and currently live.

Personally, I and my family members have never done that. People that ASK are never charged.

Michigan is an option too, but it's pretty far from you. There's actually a really cool hunt available in Michigan that most people don't know about that would be an awesome experience but it requires packing in for a week without running water. If you think your son is up for something like that then hit me up for details.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.