Best State to Hunt Mule Deer?

Have seen photos of some very nice Muleys from Colorado with B&C racks. Also monsters from the Arizona strip.

Colorado is still the best state for trophy mule deer. AZ WY ID are all good states as well. But if I had to pick one, the record books don't lie.

SO Im not misquoted LOL. Arriba county does have the most county entries, Colorado has 5 of the top ten B and C typical mulies. Comparing states Colorado has 298 B and C entries compared to 144 NM entries. Im just saying as far as pref points and public land, in my opinion Colorado is still the best state for a shot at a record book buck due to how much public land there is. For instance Eagle county has the second most entries in B and C record book. You can hunt most of those units / seasons with 1 - 4 points. Not a lifetime for one hunt like a lot of states. just my two cents.

Definitely Colorado! Tags are relatively easy to get for most areas and you can find a trophy deer in most units if you look hard enough.

Curious of this question myself but in the general tag perspective and not B&C Muleys but something respectable for a first time mule deer hunt.

I've been eyeing up idaho

Has anyone every done a idaho general deer tag before that also gives you the option to harvest a, black bear, mountain lion, or wolf. In place of your deer tag as long as they were in season.

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to give you great opportunity and a lot of options if an opportunity were to arise.

Brett

Colorado is still the best state for trophy mule deer. AZ WY ID are all good states as well. But if I had to pick one, the record books don't lie.

A very valid point, most of us would love to make the book, I'd rather hunt where deer numbers, ratios, and mature bucks are a good portion of the herd.

Places where seasons are long, and tags available on my schedule.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.