Starting over...

Nobama

I've decided to start over, shooting that is. I have hunted many years, not hard core, but I've taken my share.
I have shot for many years, but after being on this site I realize, I'm not that good. I've lost track of the basics.
I bought a new CZ 455, I have a bunch of .22 LR. Starting from the ground up. I am going to shoot nothing else for a while.
I've always been attracted to great firearms, not good to look at the classifieds here! (I still have to look!)
I am learning to reload.
I am setting up a 600 yard range at the place I live now.
I used my Cabelas points to buy a Browning Hells Canyon Speed 6.5 PRC
I have 500 rounds of 6.5 PRC.
I think that the mantra of, one rifle and a bunch of ammo and practice is a good one.
I learned that on this site...Thanks to all the people here, sharing there wisdom...AJ

I've decided to start over, shooting that is. I have hunted many years, not hard core, but I've taken my share.
I have shot for many years, but after being on this site I realize, I'm not that good. I've lost track of the basics.
I bought a new CZ 455, I have a bunch of .22 LR. Starting from the ground up. I am going to shoot nothing else for a while.
I've always been attracted to great firearms, not good to look at the classifieds here! (I still have to look!)
I am learning to reload.
I think that the mantra of, one rifle and a bunch of ammo and practice is a good one.
I learned that on this site...Thanks to all the people here, sharing there wisdom...AJ
Fear the man with one gun. Because he knows how to use it. Sounds like fun.

I have a CZ 455 too. Swapped over to the 22LR barrel a month or so from the 17 HMR configuration I bought it in. Great little rifle. Good luck with the PRC. If I didn't already have a 6.5-284, I'd get one!

I am learning to reload.
You should post a weekly update to this thread to share your process and progress

You say your learning to reload. Find a mentor at a local range or from on here. It will make your learning curve much faster. If they are a BR type shooter they can help you with your shooting form also. Sometimes someone watching your setup and form will see things you won't notice yourself.
Good luck in your new venture.
Shep

Regarding reloading, a hands on mentor is ideal but not always possible.
Still do your best to learn as much as you can through research from many sources on both process & equipment, it will save you money in things you don't need

I did 3 months of hard research on both the process & what it the best gear to produce high quality ammo.
And before I even started to buy my gear, bought the best dies I could afford, measuring gear like calipers, Oal & headspace gauges, VLD chamfer tool, primer pocket uniformer & debur tools, powder dispenser etc.

Good luck on your quest
;)

Great advise above. Been acquiring, components for a while now, still need some things. dies are confusing. With a SAMMI chamber I assume a standard dies set should be fine. I bought a Redding 3 piece set. I will use the Neck size die for known brass from my rifle?
Going to build a shooting house, Wyoming is a bit "breezy" should help learning to judge the wind.
Kestrel and a good range finder in hand.

As for reloading , ask questions about anything you're unsure of. We may not all agree on what the best way to do something is. But I think most of us will all agree with the worst or wrong way to do something. Example sneaking: YouTube video showing a guy with a torch with brass in a cookie pan of water, he heats the whole brass up to glowing red then knocks them over in the water.... that's a NO NO, as I think most everyone on here will agree. Don't be afraid to ask!!

look at the NRL 22 website and you can use their matches to add some fun and keep the cost low. If you do them on your own range you can take as much time as you want to understand how to build positions to shoot off random obstacles, which then translates to shooting off rocks, or logs etc. It also keeps the wear off the 6.5 PRC. A 2" steel at 100yd can be a right bugger, then you look around and see the leaves slightly bending or the smoke going lightly a certain way and you realize why you're just slightly missing.

Eliminate your first problem before it starts. Don't neck size your brass. It will only fit your chamber properly for a few firings. Full length sizing with a proper shoulder bump is the way to go.
Shep
That's debatable, yes I have read just about everything their is to be read on the subject there is pro's & cons for both methods.

What your talking about is your personal preference/opinion which is fine, we all have one.

I personally like to neck size, I can usually get 5 reloads out of a case before I have to FL size so that means less work or case hardening on the rest of the case.

Accuracy wise, I don't think you can say one is better than the other but that depends on how you set up your dies.

Anyway that's my personal preference/opinion ;)

I can absolutely say one is more accurate than the other. I don't know one Bench rest shooter who neck sized their case. If neck sized ammo was more accurate then they all would be doing it. They don't. After 2 shots your case will fit the chamber very close and as soon as some of your brass fit snug and some don't it will induce verticle into your groups. 1 and 200 yard benchrest shooters used to all neck size their brass and today practically none do. That's just the way it is. I would never tell someone that they can't neck size. But it does not make more accurate ammo and does not make your brass last longer. Your primer pockets will be too loose before you ever wear a shoulder out. Bushing dies that don't over size your necks will make your brass last longer. And yes this is my opinion. But it's based on shooting the Benchrest game most of my life and building benchrest rifles as a professional gunsmith. So when the op decides which way to go on sizing I say go with the facts and experience of the most accurate shooters in the world. Don't take my word for it. Do your own survey. There are plenty of threads on this site that cover the subject. Go to a match and talk with the guys shooting in it. Any rifle match. The guys that shoot matches are the most down to earth guys you could ever meet. They are very helpful and will answer most any question you ask. Some will even invite you to shoot there guns. Don't shoot their gun unless you are prepared to spend lots of money on custom everything. Once you shoot 5 shots into an oval hole it's all over you are hooked. Then you shoot your entire life trying to get that oval more round. That's why I shoot 1000 yard BR now. I can't see the holes till my target comes out of the scoring room. Have fun with it. Learning is half the fun.
Shep

Scaled range shooting for a .22 Perfect!
Bench shooting is different than field shooting it seems. Relaxing while shooting is better. I tense up sighting in. working on breathing etc.. so many variables..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.