Re-barrel a Win M-70 or start over?

I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago. I decided to keep the rifle and have it rebarreled. I was pretty attached to the rifle since it was my first one... It's just a push feed action but I had it trued and a broughton barrel screwed on it and it shoots in the 3s consistently. Had I not been attached to it I probably would have sold it and moved on. I have a Tikka T3 and have loaded for a couple others that shoot just as well and they only cost about 650ish. A couple savages I load for shoot very well too. The upside to having a custom or semi custom built is you have endless options and as long as you use a competent smith it will probably get you what you're after or more. The downside there is cost. The upside to some of the off the shelf guns is the cost. Much cheaper than action work, barrel, stock work, etc... Most will shoot very well but it can be a crapshoot sometimes.

Im in the same boat with a semi custom M70 300 win mag that is an inconsistent shooter. Can somebody point me to a good smith that works on M70's.

Thanks in advance!

I know of one in Hurst, Tx and one in College Station that will work on M 70s (at least on the push feed). If you happen to be located around here somewhere.

TxAggie, can you please pm me their info, Im located in WI but can ship.
And yes it is a push feed

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.