StaBall HD

chav0_12

Anyone have anymore results to give on this? Is it clean burning? How temp stable is it actually (seems like some reports say its amazing)? Any other feedback would be great. I just want to know before I spend all of my time looking for it.

I'm thinking I might try it in the 28 Nosler with 195 EOLs or 177gr HHs. Might even give it a go in the 7mm WSM with 162 ELD-Xs since I do see some data out there for Retumbo that looks impressive, I always though it was too slow.

The chats and even some load data suggest it has a very similar rate to 8133 and sits between 8133 and Retumbo. With the lack of Retumbo on the shelves it seems like its the powder I've been waiting for.

Just curious if you found out anything with the staBALL powder an 7wsm?
I would like some input since there doesn't seem to be any data for it with the 7mm WSM. I was thinking about starting somewhere in the 65-67gr range and go from there. Don't know for sure though.

That's kinda where I was thinking about starting to. I'm sure there has to be someone who's done something with it before.
So, a little bit more research just done. Didn't think of it until now. I have data for Retumbo from my Hornady book and Hodgdon, they're really close in burn rate. Looking at a similar case in Hodgdon's data, the 6.8 Western shooting 170gr EOLs, Retumbo starts at 60.2 and StaBall HD at 60.7. Retumbo data says to start at 66gr, I don't think there would be much issue starting at 66 or 67 with StaBall HD in the 7mm WSM.

Last edited:
65 kinda sounds totally safe then. I wonder how long it's going to take the manufacturer to get load data out.
For the 7WSM, I wouldn't be waiting it's probably on the very bottom of the priority list. It's just not a popular enough cartridge anymore.

I didn't know you could do that, interesting. I might give that a try. I've had my rifle since 2011 and haven't given it much attention. Attempted to work a load up for it years ago with no luck. It made its way to the back of the safe all the while getting a couple of chance upgrades when I found things for sale. I hadn't shot it in years until recently actually worked a decent load up with H1000, but I'm at the bottom of the canister and haven't seen much of it around. Now I realized I'm shorter on brass than I'd like to be, I've been thinking about getting some 300 WSM brass and forming it for the 7mm.

I'd really like to try the HD in the 28 Nosler, but I have a decent load with Retumbo for it and still enough of that.

Supposedly it's doable… I'm gonna do some more digging an find out for sure. I'd like to find enough of the fairy dust (H1000) to make it worth it. I find 1lb containers once every 4-5 months but that would take ages to get enough to last.

Attachments

• IMG_5959.png
    IMG_5959.png
    504.2 KB · Views: 102
Supposedly it's doable… I'm gonna do some more digging an find out for sure. I'd like to find enough of the fairy dust (H1000) to make it worth it. I find 1lb containers once every 4-5 months but that would take ages to get enough to last.
I believe Hodgdon has 1 lbers in stock right now. Not cheap, but they're there. And 8 lbers have been popping up in a few places the last few days.