SSG V Brake knew design

308 nate

Well, the board has been kinda slow so I thought I would show you all my new brake design I came up with for a friend. The "V" design is to provide more surface area for maximum efficiancy. This brake is made out of 416 stainless so it can be polished to match stainless barrels. I offer these brakes to match barrel diameters above .800 all the way up to 1.5. All barrel diameters smaller than .800 are tapered to match barrel at shoulder. All brakes under 1 inch are 1/2 - 28 thread. 1 - 1.25 has 3/4 - 28 thread. 1.5 has 1 inch 14 thread."V" ports get larger as brake diameter gets larger.

308nate

ssgVbrake.jpg

ssgVbrake1.jpg

ssgVbrake2.jpg

ssgVbrake5.jpg

Very cool , does it "sound" the same as other baffel style I mean being as loud or louder?
How long is it?
and what kind price would somthing like that run?

Hi Nate i like your design but i would machine out the rough casting marks inside the brake as it will limit the flow of gas and also be a pain to clean

Cheers Bill
Australia

James,
It's been sitting here on my computer desk all day and hasn't made a sound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
All kidding aside I have not fired a round through this style brake yet,in fact I made it just yesterday on my CNC, I can also engrave a word or short phrase on top of the brake(this does add $20 to the cost) and I can also engrave around the muzzle but that would be pushing $40 as It would need to be put into another fixture and programing is a bit more complicated.

Price of the brake in the picture is $65 plus instalation or shipping. Brakes over 1.25 and over will be around $85

It measures 2.25

308nate
P.S James your custom bolt arrived last week minus an ejector hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I sent the bolt back to PTG and they said they hope to get it back to me this week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wild_bill,
Those "casting" marks will come out real easy with the first muzzle blast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif What you are seeing is the very fine particles of dust from being carried in my pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif This brake is 100% machined out of SOLID 416 stainless rod.

To get an idea of the proportion of the muzzle brake in the picture hold your rifle barrel up to the screen (but make sure it's not loaded) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif on my 21" monitor the brake in the picture is about 100 times larger than in real life. I took the pictures on macro mode at 8mg and so you can see everything. I guess I should have blown out the ports before I took the pictures but I didn't notice them until I saw the LARGE pictures on the post.
Life's to short to be too serious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif...have a good day
308nate

Edited due to being answered by previous post.

I prefer the looks of a fully machined billet myself. Big blackened flutes on the non-ported areas might look good too. I like the V shaped ports and the option of getting it personalised.

Hired gun,
The flutes would look nice but depending on how deep they were it would drop structural strength below a level of comfort for me.
Boy I'm really getting badgered about the dust in the brake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif maybe I should blow it out and take new pictures (a bead blasted brake at this resoloution and size would look much rougher inside)

308nate,

I'm not an engineer, so please forgive the ignorance of this question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif :

My rifle is currently cut 28 x 3/4 for its suppressor.
If I were to buy a brake to fit that dimension; how would I ensure that the vents are horizontal? Presumably custom fitting is the only option?

Matt,

A screw and clamp brake may be another option, eg RPA (threads are 19mm on the .338 job) or if you can find one Sako TRG 21 brake (like old style AI brake) or TRG 22 - the TRG 21 brake was made so the can could be screwed on the brake.

Pete is going to plumb an RPA brake on my new stick so you can ask him it it will work the way you want (I have already sent him the brake). He will be re-threading it to 3/4". RPA brakes are not cheap about 160 quid, but still cheaper than new AI style ones - whats wrong with the older AI brake (they are screw and clamp too) - thread will be 18mm but can be bored out - check the clamp bolt does not cause a problem with the barrel (RPA should be fine).

David.

Sorry about that the pic looked like the brake was cast. As they are machined they are awsoem and the new pics looked better.

Good luck with them they look awsome. They should be as loud as any othe brake with the baffle system in them but they should be a bit better than the parralell type because as you have stated their is more surface area for them to work

Cheers Bill
Australia

Brown Dog just thought he was the dummy here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thats my job ! Could stainless shims work for indexing the slotted brakes ?

Good looking brake Nate , hope you make / sell a ton of them . Would be interesting to get a bunch of brakes together and test them for recoil /sound reduction .

Jim B.

Wild_Bill,
No problem. I should have taken better pictures. Maybe I'll get my wife on the picture taking next time as she's the photographer in the family and thanks for the kind words. I'm also throwing around some other brake ideas maybe I'll get to try some one of these days.
308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.