Spotting Scopes - Straight vs Angled?

kherter

I was wondering what the general opinion is for spotting scopes. If you prefer angled or straight? I am looking at getting a new one and can't decide what to get. I am leaning toward a angled Vortex Razor but I am worried that viewing off a window mount might not be much fun with a angled scope. Thanks!!!

I have the angled Razor and remember that the body with the eyepiece can rotate so you can rotate it 90* and have the eyepiece at a good viewing angle for a window mount.

The angled scope IMO is a little more versatile then a straight one. It will never be a straight one, but it can come close. A straight one CAN'T come close to an angled one.

An opposing view. I have angled and would never buy another one.
Straight works in every situation from window, sitting, to standing. Angled is a pain in a window unless you sit way high, needs to be dropped way down when sitting on the ground, works great for standing which is rarely used unless looking at the neighbor..

I like the straight for backpack hunting because it fits more snug into your backpack and you can take it out/put it in a lot easier.

I have a angled and am happy with it. I can get by with a shorter tripod which saves some weight. I can find distant critters quicker with straight though so it is give and take. I don't use it on a window mount but I think I would prefer a straight for that as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.