Spotting Scopes - Straight vs Angled?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by kherter, Dec 25, 2011.

1. kherter

kherter Active Member

I was wondering what the general opinion is for spotting scopes. If you prefer angled or straight? I am looking at getting a new one and can't decide what to get. I am leaning toward a angled Vortex Razor but I am worried that viewing off a window mount might not be much fun with a angled scope. Thanks!!!

2. Cover Dog

Cover Dog Active Member

I have the angled Razor and remember that the body with the eyepiece can rotate so you can rotate it 90* and have the eyepiece at a good viewing angle for a window mount.

The angled scope IMO is a little more versatile then a straight one. It will never be a straight one, but it can come close. A straight one CAN'T come close to an angled one.

3. WapitiBob

WapitiBob Well-Known Member

An opposing view. I have angled and would never buy another one.
    Straight works in every situation from window, sitting, to standing. Angled is a pain in a window unless you sit way high, needs to be dropped way down when sitting on the ground, works great for standing which is rarely used unless looking at the neighbor..

4. thomas1234

thomas1234 Well-Known Member

I like the straight for backpack hunting because it fits more snug into your backpack and you can take it out/put it in a lot easier.

5. wolfkiller

wolfkiller Member

I have a angled and am happy with it. I can get by with a shorter tripod which saves some weight. I can find distant critters quicker with straight though so it is give and take. I don't use it on a window mount but I think I would prefer a straight for that as well.