Spotting scopes: Straight or Angled?

mrbofus

Looking to get a new spotting scope but cant decide on straight or angled eye piece.
Will be used from the truck and on the hill.

What and why are you all using?

Thanks

Some virtues I've noticed:
Angled is better when laying prone or sitting/standing with a short tripod.
Straight is better if you need to switch quickly between a spotter and a laser rangefinder.
Straight is a bit easier to get on target.

In my experiences a straight spotting scope is easier to use standing or seated at a bench. It is also much easier to get onto the target.

That being said my spotting scope is an angled body since I found it to be more comfortable to use while hunting. It also lets me carry a shorter, lighter tripod.

This question comes up periodically on various shooting sites. More often than not, the straight version usually does better in the opinion polls.
I've only owned straight view spotting scopes so my opinion wouldn't be of much value. :D

mrbofus, I used an angled on a hunt which made my neck sore. Now I have a straight scope with no neck pain.

Thank guys,
I have pretty much decided on the straight body scope. i see pro and cons to each. The good thing is i have a 50/50 odds on getting the one I like best.....

Everyone above pretty much nailed it in my opinion. I have angled, the things I like about it are its very versatile in angles you can see from one position without moving because you can rotate it on the rings and look way left and way right. The other thing I like about it is I can digiscope with it and on flat ground it angles my camera up for easy viewing and up hill (which I do a lot of because my bear bait is up hill from my blind and I record all of my kills) it makes the camera sit level. so its very good for that. the cons are its harder to aim, although with practice its not much of an issue. using from a truck window its a little harder to use. not impossible because i use mine that way all the time. I can way there are going to be cons to both. I dont think you can go wrong either way because no matter what sometimes you will wish you had the other.

Personally i like to climb high to glass across or below me, therefore i prefer a straight scope. Angled would be nice if you were hunting from the bottom, glassing up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.