Spotting Scope (Straight or Angled)

Nope, leaving Thur PM

AJ

Can you do Thursday afternoon?

I'm doing legal crap today, and I see patients tomorrow, and don't get through til late (7PM~ish).

edit... I just looked up Peabody, and we're a bit of a fur piece apart... maybe 3 hours each way to the mid point. :(

If you get up this way often, lets plan it in the future.

Last edited:
Can you do Thursday afternoon?

I'm doing legal crap today, and I see patients tomorrow, and don't get through til late (7PM~ish).

No, but it looks like I will be in New England a few more times over the next couple months. I can PM you when I figure out my sched.

AJ

I was fortunate enough to have a friend that owned a very nice angled eyepiece scope and used it several times at the range and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Cut to the first time I/we tried to use it at long range in the field... We both became so frustrated trying to get it "on" what we had spotted with our binoculars that he dang near threw it away in a fit of rage.

When we got back from that trip we both ordered "straight scopes" and have both been happy since.

It's just not easy, intuitive, or natural to look down to see forward and takes forever to get it lined up, especially when you have your mind on a thousand things other than wrestling with a spotting scope made for birders.

The one I settled on is a Swarovski 20-60x65 and I'm thrilled with it.

The bigger 80mm and larger ones look and work great until you try to pack them or wrestle them in and out of a pickup in the field.

Hope this helps....
$bob$

bought a Leica apo-televid 77 angled with the 20x60 eye piece back in the latter 90's .also went bogen tri-pod and bogen trigger swivel head,i pack it hunting and too the range, buy the best you can and cry once.
as we all come to learn theres a learning curve to every thing we do.
regards jjmp

I found that in the field when using an angled spotting scope I would pan out to the minimum power setting, get centered on the object of interest, THEN pan in for a closer look.
I do agree with a straight bodied unit this process is a little quicker.
Good luck and happy new year.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.