straight or angled spotting scope?

rocknwell

Could I get some of your opinions on straight or angled spotting scopes? I'd like to hear pros and cons of both and what you prefer. I've picked out a scope, just don't know which version I want.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f44/spotting-scope-angled-straight-66350/

You will find all the opinions you ever wanted in that thread.:)

I have since went from angled to straight and then quickly back to angled. I prefer angled from a window mount, from a prone position, or below you while sitting on a hillside or off a bench. Just works easier for me and allows a wider pan with out me moving.

Jeff

I use the Vortex Razor angled scope. When looking uphill, angled is easier on my neck, for level viewing I can run the angle up, or rotate the body until level, when looking downhill, the body can be rotated further if needed.

+1 for angled. Feels more comfortable to me and of course as soon as you spot something everyone that you are with want to have a look and people of different height have an easier time looking through an angled scope with out moving it.

I switched from straight to angled last year, and I will never go back. One of my favorite benefits is that I can carry a much smaller tripod in the field and still be able to use it comfortably. I still have the old straight body scope, but it stays in my truck on a window mount.

OK... Every time I go to a range and try to use a friends angled scope it drives me crazy...

I MUCH prefer a straight one because it's so intuitively easier to point (IMO). I can't imagine hunting and locating an elk or (insert your favorite long range hunting species here) way out there and then trying to get the spotting scope on him in a hurry with an angled eyepiece so you evaluate trophy quality.

I guess it's maybe just what you're used to but make mine a straight one please... LOL

I had a straight Vortex Nomad 20x60x60, now I have an angled Vortex Viper HD 20x60x80. I prefer the angled over the straight. Seems to be easier to look through. I wouldn't buy another straight one.

There are spotting scopes with continuously adjustable eyepiece angle. An example is the Bushnell model #72431 which adjusts from 0 to 90 degrees. I've only seen them advertised:
Customer Reviews of Bushnell Spotting Scope - Variable Angle, Spacemaster - 15-45x Zoom 50 mm

I also have a couple of Maksutov spotting scopes (mirror type) which have straight, 45, and 90 degree interchangable eyepiece erectors. I use them for long range target shooting. Though light weight they're bulky with 100 and 150 mm objective diameters.

I use a straight spotting scope, although like most people I find the angled more comfortable. I use a spotting scope, 15X bino and LRF interchangeably on my tripod, and have each one mounted on a separate quick release shoe. I spend most of my time spotting with the bino, and switch back and forth to an LRF. For really long range work, I use a spotting scope and LRF. It's a whole lot quicker to switch back and forth between spotting glass (either scope or bino) and the the LRF if I don't have to readjust the tripod. So, I use a straight spotting scope.

Shooting service rifle competition or birding, I use an angled scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.