Spotting Scope Stand

79m1a-texas

Planning a Aoudad hunt early in '16 in West Texas and need a recommendation on a spotting scope stand. Plan on using the Kowa or the Swarovski spotting scope that I use for long range competitions. Will also be carrying a binocular/rangefinger.

Planning a Aoudad hunt early in '16 in West Texas and need a recommendation on a spotting scope stand. Plan on using the Kowa or the Swarovski spotting scope that I use for long range competitions. Will also be carrying a binocular/rangefinger.

Google 'sheep hunting tripod' and you'll get lots of discussions about what tripods would meet your needs. I personally bought a pretty cheap Vanguard from my local Sportsmen's Warehouse for my Oregon sheep hunt. It did the trick but it's certainly not the best quality or the lightest.

To give you the best input, one would need to know how you are going to hunt. Most do one of two things, they glass/scope from a vehicle or they strap on a pack and climb to vantage points. I use a pretty heavy Manfrotto around wheels, but my backpacking tripod is a short light weight SLIK. You are on the right track, because a tripod is critical/essential for long distance glassing.

I have a full size zeiss tripod, lightweight surui carbon fiber(backpacking) and a mid weight manfrotto. all serve me well. if picking just one I think outdoorsmans,manfrotto would be next for me to decide. but am content on what I have, for now:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.