A small spotting scope

I also have the Vortex 11 x 33 spotting scope.
It is compact and you can hand hold it at low power, owned the Nikon compact previous to this.
Both are equivalent, imo
It should work for you- good luck

Just a heads up on the vortex 11-33. I've used the same one since some time around 2013. I use it s lot in CO year round as a backpack hunter and year round scouter. You will find the eye cup and lens caps seriously lacking. At first you will think nothing of it, but after packing in the rain and brush for a few hours where the lens caps have come off you will do what ever it takes to keep the lenses covered. For me it involved gluing strips of bicycle inner tube around the backs of the lens cap to the body of the scope. It looks pretty ghetto but it keeps the lens protected.

The fold down rubber eye cup is pretty cheap. Probably not a big deal unless you switch out observers that wear and don't wear glasses or if digiscoping is part of your scout routine.

Other than that it's been an okay scope. The variable eye piece sure is getting gritty when zooming in and out. Time for a major service I reckon.

This may well be a controversial comment on my part, but here it is: If you have been so close to death from illness, and are in the twilight of your years as I am, recognizing how precious a thing life is every day - every sunrise, every sunset, every laugh, meal, and musical note - does it not strike you as just a touch incongruous that you would spend that precious time looking to kill another living thing that is not representing either a nuisance or a threat? Your post just struck me as odd. When younger, the same question applies, but the likelihood of needing a hunting skill for survival or to feed a family is much higher - so it is far more understandable. As we approach the final curtain - at least I find it true in my case - I find that I get great comfort from watching the celebration of life that is everywhere among living things. Please don't take this as an insult; it is only a reflection on the mystery of how we think.
I do not wish to be disrespectful but I feel the need to come to the OP's defense. I'm only 33, so my perspective is as relevant as a blowgun in a tank skirmish, but I feel that you are unfairly casting your philosophical perspective on others. What the op didn't state, but may very well be the case, is that he may have been dreaming of a barbury sheep tag since he was a young man. Or it may be possible that his recent life experiences have changed his perspective on what's important to him. He might feel the pressure to get in some adventures while he's able.

In my opinion none of us, but the op, know the reasoning for his quest. No two people handle adversity and age in the same manner. This is a long range HUNTING forum so I can only assume that we all enjoy hunting. I don't agree with all of the specific styles of hunting or various species pursuits but I do try to support everyone on their endeavors (assuming that their actions don't negatively impact our community through "bad press"). I think we need to be as supportive as possible for our fellow hunters.
I do appreciate your reflections and perspective, given your experience, it's good for me to get a glimpse of where my thoughts may wander as I mature.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.