Speed vs Barrel life

My hunting rifles all run hot, fast, and under 1/2 MOA but never see a 10 or 20 shot string, comp guns(6.5x47) stay around 2,900 fps.
If I got 1,000 rounds from a hunting gun I would be ecstatic cuz that's a LOT of hunting !

I 'shot out':
A .308 Win barrel that I put 6,000 round through that I bought used. Accuracy dropped off, I just don't remember.
A 6.5-06 barrel when 142 gr SMK blew up on the way to a 600 yard target;
A 7mm Remington Magnum barrel when it failed to hit a 8.5x11 inch target at 200 yards.
Finishing up a 6.5 Remington Magnum barrel this year.

Good luck

Jerry

I 'shot out':
A .308 Win barrel that I put 6,000 round through that I bought used. Accuracy dropped off, I just don't remember.
A 6.5-06 barrel when 142 gr SMK blew up on the way to a 600 yard target;
A 7mm Remington Magnum barrel when it failed to hit a 8.5x11 inch target at 200 yards.
Finishing up a 6.5 Remington Magnum barrel this year.

Good luck

Jerry

Was accuracy going bad in the 6.5-06 before the bullets started to go to pieces??

The 6.5-06 was shooting holding the 9-10 ring at 600 yards F-Class match. I had about 1,600 round through the barrel and expected to go soon. I didn't really expect it to start blowing up bullets.
Good Luck

Jerry

Thanks. Not bad to get 1600 rounds out of it. Sounds like the throat was rough and it messed up the bullets jacket.

Anyone try "BORE COAT" clear ceramic barrel coating? Seems to improve barrel life 2x to 3x...........Sad when you think you need to let your barrel cool while in the middle of a great killing field of PD's............My 22-250 rifles I never let them cool between shots.......I will shoot 100-300 rounds non stop before resting.

What can it take for heat and pressure?? Unless its better then the engine ceramic coating stuff, it will not last on a rifle barrel.

No
What can it take for heat and pressure?? Unless its better then the engine ceramic coating stuff, it will not last on a rifle barrel.
Not sure but years ago I had my engine pistons and combustion chambers on race engines ceramic coated so I could run as lean as possible without any damage to engine.
Once inside of barrel is coated you fire the gun and this cures the ceramic inside barrel for long life and easy cleaning...........just have to try it I guess.

One way to find out for sure. Did you ever take the engine's apart and see if the coating was still there? Maybe gas is not as bad as diesel. But the guys I now running it in diesel say it does not hold up.

Is the stuff you got dyno-tech Bore coat? The only stuff I fund claims 1200F degrees. Some powder burns @ 4000F degrees and I would think hotter with pressure. Pressure makes heat.

Still would be interesting to see how it does. Combine that coating with HBN and it might really get interesting.

One way to find out for sure. Did you ever take the engine's apart and see if the coating was still there? Maybe gas is not as bad as diesel. But the guys I now running it in diesel say it does not hold up.

Is the stuff you got dyno-tech Bore coat? The only stuff I fund claims 1200F degrees. Some powder burns @ 4000F degrees and I would think hotter with pressure. Pressure makes heat.

Still would be interesting to see how it does. Combine that coating with HBN and it might really get interesting.

My Boat engine still has yellow ceramic paint on tops of pistons and in combustion chambers after 12 years or running. I also paint valley of block, heads, crankshaft webbing with same stuff and its all still intact.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.