20" barrel options

Mainmechanic

Considering a 20" barreled varmint outfit. This will be a walking rifle. Not really concerned about weight. Would like to hear some opinions on what would be some decent chambering for that barrel length. Where I hunt 500-600 yards would be very long. Don't believe I want to go above 25 cal. Would be quite happy with 22 cal. Am open to all suggestions though.

I've like the 'Micro-Hunters' from Browning in 20" barrel lengths. That includes the A-Bolts & newer X-Bolts. Another I am fond of is the Mod 70 'Classic Compact', which has a 20" barrel. I have these in 284 Win, 7mm-08, & 243.

For your chambering I'd consider 243, or maybe even the 22-250, especially as a reloader. The term 'Varmint rifle' can vary widely with individuals, type of hunting, location, & intended game. I consider 500 yards to be somewhat specialized shooting, I'd rather be well inside that range. Oh yes, I've read about the great shots at longer ranges on the net. I also seem to see a fair amount of wounded deer in my travels. One year we dealt with 5 wounded/dead/lost deer from neighbors on the smallish IL deer lease.

Of course nothing wrong with 800+ yard prairie dog shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.