Sorting brass?

You'll never get me to agree that doing something wrong is better than doing nothing.
Be sure to 'shoot-sort' those you intend to cull purely by weight.....................................................

I say don't act on things until you actually have needed information, to know that what you're doing is correct. And you shouldn't be doing things like this without the understanding needed to anticipate right from wrong. Stop tail chasing

Even those well read in ballistics should not let their arrogance prevent them from passing on information to their peers.

Here is more information useful or not.
Consistency of a case must include both volume & weight. Internal dimensions of the case determine the shape and distribution of the charge and response of the brass during combustion.
Consistent volume usually is enough to provide results we are looking for.
Best consistency cannot be achieved however unless weight consistency is present at the same time. For that reason weight outliers should not be included with your volume sorted cases.

Consistency of a case must include both volume & weight.
I'm not telling anybody not to weigh cases.
What I'm suggesting is that we don't credit this single measure for more than it is.

The weight measure is supposed to lead us to volume matching,, not weight matching. Right? Why would anyone care about case weight in itself? It means nothing to ballistics.
So if volume matching is the goal, then direct measure of volume makes sense. This, removing assumptions and going directly to the goal.

Either way: Be sure to 'shoot-sort' em. Get a flyer, mark the case. Next range session, that case acts up again, toss the sum bee.
Also, it is not my desire to seem arrogant, nor to suppress information. I'm trying to help, with perspectives, that are at times in contrast to the mob's. That's all it is

Last edited:
id turn the winchester necks ,deburr the inside of the the flash holes, uniform primer pockets ,, load up a velocity test with all of them to blow em out

then, trim all to exactly the same length,

then see where you are at with new weights again

** id bet you get better weight consistency just by de-burring the flash holes and evening all trim lengths ***
Do this!!!!

I confess to not reading all 5.5 pages of reply so I may be repeating someone else. Weight sorting and then going through a precision prep makes no sense to me. If I was going to weight sort it would be after I had finished removing brass weight doing the prep process.

I confess to not reading all 5.5 pages of reply so I may be repeating someone else. Weight sorting and then going through a precision prep makes no sense to me. If I was going to weight sort it would be after I had finished removing brass weight doing the prep process.
It was mentioned and makes good sense, although initial "new weight" doesn't change very much over the life of a case including the normal removal of material at initial case prep; pockets, flashholes, trimming, turning and reaming. Also fireforming does not change case weight, but all volume checks should be made after complete fireforming (usually two to three firings).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts