7.62x51 Brass Sorting

Tony,

I did the exact same thing you did, but I've got closer to 20k NATO brass.

I bought mine since I got a screaming deal on it ($29.99 for 500) and since I used it mostly for hog hunting, I didn't care if it got left in the swamps or in a beanfield.

It will take more prep work than Lapua or other commercial brass, but given my intended use for it, it works fine. I used a Franklin Arsenal Rotary Tumble for cleaning, and it comes out just as pretty as commercial brass. I resized it during the winter after the wife and kids went to bed.

I can get three shots in under a inch at 100 yards, which is plenty good for me.

It wouldn't be my choice for precision shooting, but killing pigs, deer hunting, and plinking, it works well for me.

NATO BRASS.jpg

I my experience, LC is fine brass if you're willing to put in the effort to it-I would size it all with a small base 308 die, trim them to a consistent length and sort by year. Ream inside flash hole, swage primer pocket and shoot it. It's capable of shooting small consistent groups contrary to what the brass snobs tell you. Depending on your Ar10 chamber you may want to set brass aside just for it, a slightly oversized chamber would create issues I wouldn't want to deal with in bolt guns. I'd say it's a crap shot anyway on getting precision loads the same for all 3 guns so in reality I'd probably end up splitting the brass up to gun specific lots......just my 2 cents and current inflation makes it worth less than last year.😆

Edit to add: once upon a time I made 260 brass from LC so you know I'm a gluten for punishment.......
For precision shooting, The first thing I do is de-prime with a universal decapping tool. Then I inspect for off-center flash holes. I sort the off-center flash hole brass for short-range.

After sorting, I procede like CKgworks. Small base size, put a heavy chamfer on the case mouth.

NOTE: if the brass was fired in a M60, you will loose primer pockets sooner than later, so choose your load accordingly.

Dealing with fired LC brass is a lot of work, and I use a Dillon primer pocket swagger on the Primer pockets...great Winter project.

I have made 243 AI brass and 7/08 brass out of culled LC brass. I neck turn at 30 caliber, then neck down, amazing accuracy is the result.

Last edited:
I did 500x LC 7.62 brass. Assuming your looking at 1x fired brass, then you'll be trimming and resizing anyway. With LC, you'll have to add pocket swaging and checking flash holes like someone mentioned. That part will add a couple of hours. I think I had about 6-7 hours total using a lyman universal trimmer - yes, cranked by hand, ugh. I like to establish a spiritual connection with my brass.

I found once I started shooting, the case capacity diff across years after fireforming was negligible. I found as much difference within years as across years. Quickload says the H2O capacity difference amounted to less than 0.5 gr powder charge compensation.

My loads consistently shoot 1/2 moa at 100, and 1.2 moa at 600 out of a Savage 10 using N140 and 168's. Can't speak to case life vs new premium brass, but I've got 4,500 168's, so I'm pretty sure it'll make it through that if I anneal periodically. One last thing, I took some of the FF brass and made up some test loads to see how they would shoot. It shot 5 shots, 43.8-44.6 gr, into one fat ragged hole at 100 yd. I can only hope it will repeat that when I'm done FF'ing

Anything under 2.005" is trash unless it grows when sized (doubtful). I have shot some at 2.003", but only for testing. The very short cases (less than 2.000") will have a very short neck and maybe used for 135's and lighter with flat-base. That's very subjective though!

I decided to do a "one and done" purchase of once-fired military brass to last the rest of my shooting life.

So now to the sorting...

This stuff is all over the place in both weight and length, so my question is how tightly do I sort it for good results? The lengths vary from 1.983 to 2.032, but 95% are in the 1.994 to 2.018 range. Weights vary from174.0 to 181.8, most between 175.5-180.5.

I plan to pull a group of 200 that will be within one grain in weight and all trimmed to 2.010 for precision shooting. That will leave 800 with 5 grains weight variance, most under the trim to length of 2.010.

I will be using several different bullet weights to feed two bolt guns and an AR10. Should I just cull small groups for each bullet and try to keep it sorted after firing? I'm looking at all this brass and just shaking my head. Need advice! Thanks!
Your on the rite track.... Good for you.....And winter time is the time to do it.....