• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Son's First Hunting Rifle

I spent a year or so on a similar project for my daughter. I settled on a Tikka 260 REM I found in the bargain cave at Cabela's. Got the rifle on a discount and it didn't have a lot of rounds through it one could easily see. I pulled it out of that crappy synthetic stock that doesn't free float the barrel. I then ordered an "At One" stock from Boyd's that fits a Tikka 260 SA. It is a heavier and adjustable stock from being able to increase the length of pull as well as the cheek rise. Perfect setup and a bit heavier to manage recoil! I then went and had a "little bastard" muzzle brake put on and this rifle shoots half inch groups all day and you could actually shoot it all day. This rifle will be I assume her lifetime go-to gun. Will do a great job on deer out to long-range as well as elk and moose at respectable distances. That's my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

OP, I have an NEF .243 I would sell. I bought it for my son's first gun when he was about your kid's age.

I don't have any trader history here but I do on AS. I also have years of buying and selling on Ebay. I'll also be glad to talk on the ph.

Last edited:
When my daughter was 9 I picked up a used Remington Model 7 with a youth stock chambered in .260 Rem. I put a Nikon Monarch scope on it & had a devastating deer rifle that she could handle when small but would serve her well when she was larger. I've thought about converting this to 6.5 Creedmore but don't know when I'll get around to it — especially since I have LOTS of .260 Rem ammunition for it.

Now that she's in college where she can't have firearms & headed to med school, I should pedal this. Any interest?
Not sure why you'd go to the expense of switching a 260 Rem over to 6.5CM.. Ballistically, they are almost identical. Especially since you have a lot of 260 ammo for it already.
Not to hijack this thread but I too am looking for a youth rifle for my grandson(s). If the OP isn't interested, I might be. Thanks,

Not sure why you'd go to the expense of switching a 260 Rem over to 6.5CM.. Ballistically, they are almost identical. Especially since you have a lot of 260 ammo for it already.
Not to hijack this thread but I too am looking for a youth rifle for my grandson(s). If the OP isn't interested, I might be. Thanks,

I'm out of town for about a week (hunting) but can get you pictures when I get back. PM me your contact info.

My boy will be 12 next year and I'm planning on a kimber hunter in 7-08. I looked at tikkas as well. 243 is great for kids but when he's older he'll want more. I will hand load some recoil-reduced 120 gr to start but later he still has a rifle capable of most big game. I think it is a perfect whitetail round. I agree about skipping the youth sized rifle. Get him a rifle and cartridge he can get use now, as an adult, and hand down to his own boy.

The smartest Thing to do for a kids
Rifle would be to get a bolt action .223. Ammo cheap , reload cheap, shoot all day with no recoil and a great little Deer sized game round. They will learn to shoot it will be fun for them. Recoil and the noise are the two biggest enemies when teaching kids to shoot right.

When he going to hunt something bigger or wants to shoot a little farther get w him another gun in the exact same rifle. I said best thing to do, not cheapest.

The smartest Thing to do for a kids
Rifle would be to get a bolt action .223. Ammo cheap , reload cheap, shoot all day with no recoil and a great little Deer sized game round. They will learn to shoot it will be fun for them. Recoil and the noise are the two biggest enemies when teaching kids to shoot right.

When he going to hunt something bigger or wants to shoot a little farther get w him another gun in the exact same rifle. I said best thing to do, not cheapest.
That will not work for some because some states do not allow .22 caliber rifles for any big game hunting.

I would not recommend a 223 for a deer rifle...it would be more of an "experience" round than a beginner round..I agree with the practice though--for any matter a 22 LR is good for practice...believe me a 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, or even the 300 blackout beat a 223 hands down for killing animals...I have shot enough stuff with a 223 to know...223 is great for coyotes, skunks, and maybe the occasional deer if you don't have anything else...even a fast 22 is not ideal...6mm start deer rifles in my opinion

I would not recommend a 223 for a deer rifle...it would be more of an "experience" round than a beginner round..I agree with the practice though--for any matter a 22 LR is good for practice...believe me a 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, or even the 300 blackout beat a 223 hands down for killing animals...I have shot enough stuff with a 223 to know...223 is great for coyotes, skunks, and maybe the occasional deer if you don't have anything else...even a fast 22 is not ideal...6mm start deer rifles in my opinion
I agree. For instance, in VA, it must be AT LEAST .23 caliber. There are a ton of other, much better options out there.

If you find the gun you want in a Rem 700, I have a god youth stock I can sell you cheap. I used it for both of my kids until they could shoot an adult sized gun.

What?? My kid, all friends kids all started with a 223. It deer killer!! We are talking kids, close shots. It's no different than adults: A gun they shoot accurate is more important than a larger caliber. If it's not legal I get it. But it's a great way to start kids. There are other good options but none as easy, or cost effective and as shootable for a kid. Nothing wrong with .243, Grendel, Creedmoor or anything in that class. But if you want your kid to learn right and have FUN seriously think about what I'm saying.

What?? My kid, all friends kids all started with a 223. It deer killer!! We are talking kids, close shots. It's no different than adults: A gun they shoot accurate is more important than a larger caliber. If it's not legal I get it. But it's a great way to start kids. There are other good options but none as easy, or cost effective and as shootable for a kid. Nothing wrong with .243, Grendel, Creedmoor or anything in that class. But if you want your kid to learn right and have FUN seriously think about what I'm saying.

Good for you..do it. We used a 300 Blackout with 110-120 X bullets and killed maybe 8 deer. I will not change my view and am happy you feel confident in yours. I will say again a 223 is not a deer rifle--your mileage my vary though...

Last edited:

I am still focused on an elk caliber that I can use a muzzle break and light loads until he is 12 and can chase elk. I really like the 7mm-08 for this reason.

If you find the gun you want in a Rem 700, I have a god youth stock I can sell you cheap. I used it for both of my kids until they could shoot an adult sized gun.

I may take you up on this. Does anyone have a model 700 rifle or barreled action they are looking to move in 7mm-08?