• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Son's First Hunting Rifle

I also have a accurate little TC contender must be broken and cocked. What I started my kids on.. id sell for $525 has a 300 Blackout Match MGA barrel threaded.. will pile 110 together. M4 stock is really adjustable.

Attachments

• IMG_2533.JPG
    IMG_2533.JPG
    867.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2535.JPG
    IMG_2535.JPG
    945.2 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the advise. Keep it coming. I'm really looking for something elk capable since that will only be two years away.

My first rifle at 8 yrs old was Remington 600 in .243 (Dad bought it for me in 1964 and it's been rebarreled). There are some of them out there on internet from time to time. Put a decent scope on it and it is a great rifle without a lot of rework etc. Mine is still in my safe and several young kids including my son have killed their first deer with it. My son will get it when I'm gone.

Depending on budget u could get a good barreled action in an appropriate caliber such as 7-08, 260 rem, etc and have a quality stock manufacturer build a SLP stock then as he gets older could replace with a full size stock. Could even rebarrel when he's older to something like 308 or also replace bolt face and go wsm or saum.

Son will turn 10 next year and be able to hunt deer as an apprentice hunter. Looking for a starter rifle that has possibly already been modified for a youth. Initial idea is something like an older Remington model 788 in .308 that could be rebarreled to 7-08. Open to other ideas also.
i would go with a savage axis over remington 788.

Do you have a suppressor to attach?

Its a fantastic way to reduce the sharp flinch-inducing muzzle blast and reduce the recoil too.

Son will turn 10 next year and be able to hunt deer as an apprentice hunter. Looking for a starter rifle that has possibly already been modified for a youth. Initial idea is something like an older Remington model 788 in .308 that could be rebarreled to 7-08. Open to other ideas also.
I'd suggest looking into like a T/C single shot break action in 7mm-08. Personally I learned with a single shot and then it eliminates many safety issues/concerns, and as new hunter, it'll cause him to concentrate on making a good first shot. These rifles are stocked a bit shorter, as is the gun, and it's lighter, better balanced and easier to carry.

If elk are a consideration approximately 2 yrs down the road, I would recommend something in the 308, 7mm/08 range. Since you reload these can be loaded with high quality- light for caliber bullets that will still be adequate for thin skinned deer. You can even reload a reduced load that will also reduce felt recoil and muzzel blast/report. Later as the child matures and grows you can reload to the rifles full capabilities. By this point they should be able to shoot a "full load" out of either that would be suitable for elk or larger game, 140's-160's out of the 7/08, 165-180's out of the 308.

My youngest daughter took her first ever WT buck with a reduced load running 2,650fps out of Browning micro medallion chambered in 257 Roberts, 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Has minimum recoil and the buck went maybe 10 feet with a complete pass thru. She was 7 yrs old and weighted about 45 lbs and she's hooked for life.

There are several good possibilities out there, so so your research and consider all possibilities for now and the years to come. Good hunting and enjoy your time with your childern.

When my daughter was 9 I picked up a used Remington Model 7 with a youth stock chambered in .260 Rem. I put a Nikon Monarch scope on it & had a devastating deer rifle that she could handle when small but would serve her well when she was larger. I've thought about converting this to 6.5 Creedmore but don't know when I'll get around to it — especially since I have LOTS of .260 Rem ammunition for it.

Now that she's in college where she can't have firearms & headed to med school, I should pedal this. Any interest?

Reactions: NDF
Buano has the right idea, then just keep an eye out for a standard take off stock as your son grows, good luck great xmas present for your boy

I really like the idea of getting a 7-08 barreled action and bedding it in a youth stock for the next few years. There are some devastating elk bullets on the market for that caliber and the ballistic coefficient is great. He has been shooting a 410 shotgun since 7 without blinking at that recoil. Would shoot it all day if I let him. I think a lighter hand load for the next two years deer hunting and he'll be ready to step it up when he can get an elk tag. Does anyone have a 7-08 barrelled action in a Remington 788, 700 or similar?

+1 to all the suggestions here, but I'd add a muzzle brake to any rifle shot by a 10 y/o. I hope are bringing him to the shooting range a lot...and then he'll need a light recoiling rifle.