• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Son's First Hunting Rifle

kellyz

Son will turn 10 next year and be able to hunt deer as an apprentice hunter. Looking for a starter rifle that has possibly already been modified for a youth. Initial idea is something like an older Remington model 788 in .308 that could be rebarreled to 7-08. Open to other ideas also.

I wouldn't not consider a 6.5 creed just because they are bashed a bit here an there. They aren't the end all be all, but a good deer caliber with little recoil and usable for IMO up to mulies etc as your son grows. You can get them cheap in the TC Compass, Savage Axis, etc where you could cut down a stock cheaply and buy one back cheap on ebay etc when he needs a longer pull in couple a three years. 7mm-08 also a great choice.

I did a .308 Ruger ultralight for my son. Friend had a shorter stock and I cut two inches off the barrel so he could carry it with the muzzle safely down. I loaded it down with some lighter bullets worked perfectly...Now lots of other options but I like the three position safety...

I picked up a Winchester XPR in 243. I put a Vortex Diamondback HP scope on it. Have about $450.00 in it with gun and scope. Gives me 3/4" groups at a 100 yds. with Federal Fusion ammo.

Cant ask for more than that to start my junior hunter.

Attachments

• IMG_9150.JPG
    IMG_9150.JPG
    701.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 826AD8D3-9C19-48C5-A9B5-9C23B5AA956B.JPG
    826AD8D3-9C19-48C5-A9B5-9C23B5AA956B.JPG
    883.7 KB · Views: 33
My advice is to steer away from rifles that are designated as youth or ladies rifles. Manufacturers. Ultra light weight rifle recoil more than their full size counter parts. At that age, and probably for a few more years, it will be dad, uncle, mom, or papa toting the rifle in and out of the woods. Go for heavy, with some means to reduce the length of pull. One great example of this would be a ruger RPR, or other type rifle that has some weight to it, but can be adjusted short. Could also take the butt pad off of a youth length stock and fill the hollow stock with BBs. My Tikka T3 youth took almost 4 lbs of BBs from Tractor supply and it cost $10. Knocks the recoil way down.

Just bought a CVA CASCADE in a 6.5 for the grandson. It has a removable extension in the stock for smaller arms. My two grandgirls already shoot a 6.5. They both claim it doesn't kick, and I know it will kill anything in the state if the shot is accurate.

I have a 6.8 SPC in a 700...maybe more than you want to spend...id like $800..it has a HS precision stock and a fluted barrel.

Just a option