• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Son's First Hunting Rifle

I have a 6.8 SPC in a 700...maybe more than you want to spend...id like $800..it has a HS precision stock and a fluted barrel.

Just a option
Hands down my favorite white tail rifle and caliber. Don't see many bolt guns in that cal..Under 7 1/2lbs with fluted barrel, and shoots so soft should be illegal. Glad to see others out there appreciate that weapon/cal...

Wife has a 788 in 7mm 08 that she hasn't shot in years , it's nice, stock was cut down and a recoil pad put on to fit her, Ill ask her when I go home if she's interested in selling it, it's got at least 2 clips also

Wife has a 788 in 7mm 08 that she hasn't shot in years , it's nice, stock was cut down and a recoil pad put on to fit her, Ill ask her when I go home if she's interested in selling it, it's got at least 2 clips also

Definitely interested to hear what she has to say.

I have a 260 Remington Model 7 Youth I want to sell. I bought it at a gun show a few years ago and have never fired it. It has a J Lock bolt.

I'm looking at a couple options for 7mm-08's. I may circle back to your option.

I think this would be real nice for him and it's brand new with a Weaver scope. Free shipping and no tax and it looks like there is a $75 mail in rebate to boot.....if you don't like the color, there is always spray paint but the price seems right.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/835373087

Last edited:
Hello again gotta love when i get back, i got the ruger preadtor in 6.5 creedmoor this has been the best thing have purchased, it was good enough that i also bought this in 22 250 and wouldnt change either one. The 6.5 i bought for my grand daughter, and maybe try the starting round in something in the 140 gr. I use sierra game king.

My son is 11, he is kind of tall but small other wise. We got a savage engage in 30-06 for him. The rifle is light, has a VERY GOOD recoil pad, and the stock is an adjustable for LOP. We took all the spacers out for it to fit him. He shoots it well and has no issue with the recoil. I have shot it and it is VERY MILD on recoil. With it being adjustable as he grows we can add the spacer in that fits him, there for he can shoot the same rifle into adulthood. I would focus on a rifle that fits him with a good recoil pad more so than caliber/cartridge. Not saying you should go buy him a 30-06, nothing wrong with .270 Win.(one of my favorites), .308 Win., .280, 7mm08, 260, 243, 257, 25-06, 6mm & 6.5 CR's, and the list can keep on going, many grate rounds to pick from, but I think the most important thing is that the rifle fits him and a good recoil pad is good for young and smaller shooters.

I'd find a good Remington 600, 660 or 600 Mohawk in 243 Winchester or 6mm Remington. These were the predecessors to the Remington model 7 and are great little guns. Me eldest is 5 and shooting one in 222 Remington. As a matter of fact it's the same rifle my father gave when I was 5!

Sorry Kelly'z , wife says that's her rifle and won't give it up, good luck in your search.

I have a 6.8 SPC in a 700...maybe more than you want to spend...id like $800..it has a HS precision stock and a fluted barrel.

Just a option
As you undoubtedly know, the 6.8 is an awesome round within certain parameters. It licks the recoil issue while being very effective out to 200 yards or so. I've been bugging Savage and their larger distributors for an Axis compact in this caliber for a youngster/woman's first deer rifle. I wish they'd listen. If we don't do everything we can to recruit new hunters we're cooked.

Take a look at the steyr safe bolt has removable shims in stock 3 position safety and shoot as well as a lot of customs at a good price

I'd take a 308 and reload to his comfort zone. My daughter started off with a 120 accubond and 4759 powder. 2180 MV and very effective on deer. Barely a heartbeat in the scope. Hard to argue with the versatility of the 308 and bullet selection. Also, don't overlook the 130 ttsx for a laser beam of death.
A R700 has a multitude of stock options, many adjustable.
A 168 Berger with a healthy dose of varget kills elk at 400 with no issue.