Some rebarrel questions

Riflemanse

I plan to rebarrel my Swedish Husqvarna 1640 30-06 to a 338 WM.
(Action is similar to a Interarms Mark X)

I have bought a Hogue stock for it and a Bold Optima trigger.
The barrel will be a Lothar Walther CM, 26", 1-10, but I cant decide on the profile.

I will do some walking with the rifle so it cant be to have but I also dont like barrels thin as a straw. And since I shoot a lott in prone position I dont want it to light either...

The profiles I have looked at is
#2100: Light Weight Varmint
#2140: Medium Sporter Varmint

Maybe #1450 Super-Magnum Sporter.

Flutes or no flutes?

Can any one help me dicide? :)

Not to sure how LW works their profile but I personaly like a little heavier barrel and I realy like flutes. So for me I'd say get a barrel thats barrel was about .725" muzzle diameter in a sporter profile and have it fluted. But thats me.

Hi

The #2100: Light Weight Varmint is .700 in the muzzle.
bild4396_2.jpg

ØD1 = 0.700"
ØD2 = 0.900"
ØD3 = 1.200"
L1 = 3.0"
L2 = 7.0"
L3 = 26" or 28"

Would that be OK you think?

Ligth Varmint w/Flutes, 25" would work well for me.

.003 cents worth

I had a Husquvarna in 240 Wby back in the nineties that I had put a medium contour (3) bbl on. How Sweet It Was. I got tired of the muzzle jump, and let it go. But that was a nice action.

Best Wishes-

Thanks for your answer.

25", is that long enough for 338 WM?

Here are the parts so far, with the original 3006 barrel.

stockar.jpg

You are going from 30-06 to 338 WM? There is going to have to me modification to the bolt face if I am not mistaken.

There are other options also, the 338 Scovill (based on the 30-06) will push a 200gr in a 24" tube at about 2600fps. From the Barnes book, it lists Varget as 2571 fps for starting and high load at 2765. The 338 WM with varget and a 200gr and 24" tube shows 2652 low and 2877 high.

I don't know of much info available for the scovill besides the barnes reloading book but I am considering a build in that caliber, if the 338WM is readily available to you then that might be better, but there always 30-06 cases to neck up to the scovill.

Also if you have to open the bolt face, then that might change your mind.

Joe Oakes

Joe is right the 338-06 is another option and I think that A-square offers ammo for it , not but a baby step behind the 338 Win mag , an Elk would never tell the differance.

Thanks for your answers.

I know I have to open the bolt face and have allready talked to the smith about it. So 338 WM is tha way I go, or 300 WM, or 7mm RM... :)
I want a decent flat shooter for longer ranges, with plenty of power for elk and hogs. I reload my selfe so ammunition is´n much of a problem.

Switch Barrel

Hi i would look at the 338/06 Improved. It will get you close to the 338 win mag and still give you the ability to use the 30/06 in the came action without having to modify the magazine if switching the barrels. I would get the 30-06 barrel rechambered to 300WSM if opening the boltface and mag modifications or just leave the boltface as is. Another great round for you would be the 376 steyr necked to 338 this will give you 338 Win mag performance but it has a larger diameter body like a 284 win or .500 as aposed to .470 on the 06 case.

I think you will have to work out exactly the case diameters you want to use. A good compromise would be a 30-284 and the 338-376 Steyr as they are the same diameter and would both fit the same boltface and feed through the same magazine.

Cheers Bill
Australia

always do what you want.......

i am working on two builds right now. moneys tight, but when is it not :mad:
the one im working on right now is a 7 rem mag. but the nest one in planning is a k. khal turk mauser 338-06, or ackley maybe. i like the ballistics. but... i say, and have heard, alwasy do what you want... if you dont, you WILL regret it.

Hi

I cant afford a switch barrel system right now, besides the 30-06 is in poor condition so it´s no use in have it rechamberd.

The magazine feeds 338 rounds as it is right now, but only holds 3 of them. (Which is ok for me)
The smith told me he wount charge me for opening up the bolt face since im an old customer to him.

I want flutes on the barrel and that was more expencive then I thought, $45 / flute (Dont know how many flutesI want yet, it all comes down on looks ;-) )

A Holland brake would be nice but right now money is tight.

Right when I had decided to rebarrel the old stick starts to shoot and are easy to clean. A good job with JB bore paste did the work.
I guess it will live on as a 30-06 this year after all.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.