stupid weatherby rebarrel question

A5B18206-98D5-4D94-8876-C417510FD859.jpeg
Criterion and McGowen make barrel nut barrels for howa/Weatherby Vanguard actions. With a little tooling you can easily swap barrels at home with no smith required. This is the route I took and very happy I did. Last barrel swap I did on my Weatherby Vanguard was from McGowen howage barrel and I'm very happy with it. Cost me $350 for barrel and I already had the action wrench and go gage. It shoots sub moa from day one. Tooling costs less than the smith will charge and then your good to go for the next rebarrel

Last edited:
not a fan of the 6.5-300 wby...the 2 I shot were a lot of blast for what results we saw on the lab-radar. I think to get the most you would need a 28 in or even longer...lots of powder to burn in there. I love 25s and love the 257 weatherby--trouble is the bullets. Looks like you have one choice for heavy(blackjack) other than that a handful of pretty good 115-120 grains. I'd rebarrel my accumark in a second if I could get 3-4 good choices in bullets say 130-145 grains. In my opinion the 257 wby case is about right for a 6.5...the Mcworter guys do a few every year. Just about the right amount of powder to push that 140 grain bullet fast--just think the 6.5-300 is too much of a good thing...just my 2 centavos

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.