Rebarrel question

aitch

I want to rebarrel a project Ruger No.1 in .284 Win.
I found a Broughton .284 that was taken off a Rem 700 LA.
I understand both are threaded 1"-16. Is it reasonable to assume that this could work, with extractor cut modification and possible shoulder set back?. Or am I being totally naïve?

Last edited:
Yes, it is. The length of the threaded tenon would need to be adjusted, so that it fit the Ruger as it should, re-setting headspace may be required and the extractor cut made. One should always be cautious of 'used' barrels. The first question that comes to my mind is "why was it removed?". Installing a 'used' barrel can be throwing good money (alteration & installation fees) after bad money (a barrel that's not worth those alteration/installation fees and/or its purchase price to begin with).

Barrel is advertised as 600 rounds down the tube and weight reduction the reason for selling, (along with Manners stock and Badger bottom metal). 600 rounds does not seem excessive for a Broughton 5C heavy. Should be good for 2000 or so I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.