Soliciting Suggestions for a 6.5mm Build

If you're using the top end on bullet weights 140+ then the shorter cases would suit those without deep seating. Going 135-, then 260rem is the answer when 2.800" restriction without changing bolts for a short mag. Improved or not is the option.

I guess the unanswered question is what do you want this rifle to do? A deer rifle? A varmint rifle? A paper puncher? All of the above? Does it have to be super fast or average velocity wise? What kind of accuracy would you want/expect?

The mag boxes I have in hand are going to limit COAL to 2.8". I was thinking that seemed pretty dang short considering everything else I have is long actioned. If I end up with a 6.5x47 that will help with longer bullets. If a .260AI I might be limited to 120-130gr bullets and that would be ok, too. To my way of thinking, beyond 140gr belongs in a .270 or 7mm cartridge. Just me...
I think you might have answered your query. Limiting yourself to 120-130grainers with the .260 AI, 6.5 Grendel (COAL max = 2.260") might be another consideration. However, as @Rflshootr noted, it depends on your intended purpose. Good luck!

I shot the .260 AI and the 243 AI and the .22-243 AI years ago and days gone by. Long neck on cartridge cases is exemplified by the 6mm Rem. I shot that case AI along with the .22-6mm AI case for longer range prairie dogs.
I have a 22-6mm in 9T. Having load development issues!
If I may ask , what is your barrel twist and loads.??

Sorry, I skated right by this notification...

I have a 22-6mm in 9T. Having load development issues!

I also apologize in that I never had any load development problems ever, even switching to a new, faster twist barrel.

My first barrel was a 1:8" twist and I was shooting the amazing 75gr/80 gr. AMAX bullets by Hornady. The barrel is 28" and a full 1.25" diameter straight. My notes tell me it is a Douglas XX barrel which I did all the work on since I was teaching gunsmithing at the time.

The 75/80 AMAX bullets started on Re-25 and I never changed after fine tuning the load. No need to. Well under 1/2 MOA at 600 yards. This is a very nearly full case load and top end pressure as should be expected. That is where the accuracy node is.

My current load is the last Berger bullets I'll buy but these shoot great. The 85.5 gr. are excellent for shooting prairie dogs and longer range targets. I bought a box of 1,000 after testing and that'll be the end. The new barrel is a 1:7.5" twist also 28" long and a 1.25" straight. The only difference is that this one is a Bartlein. However, I find that I can use:

Re-25
VVN-565
H-1000
Ramshot Magnum

All 4 powders deliver fine accuracy in that node.

I forgot the OAL:

75/80 = 1.925 for my magazine fed bolt rifle

85.5 = 3.100" from my Defiance XM and it's magazine.

Enjoy!

Sorry, I skated right by this notification...

I also apologize in that I never had any load development problems ever, even switching to a new, faster twist barrel.

My first barrel was a 1:8" twist and I was shooting the amazing 75gr/80 gr. AMAX bullets by Hornady. The barrel is 28" and a full 1.25" diameter straight. My notes tell me it is a Douglas XX barrel which I did all the work on since I was teaching gunsmithing at the time.

The 75/80 AMAX bullets started on Re-25 and I never changed after fine tuning the load. No need to. Well under 1/2 MOA at 600 yards. This is a very nearly full case load and top end pressure as should be expected. That is where the accuracy node is.

My current load is the last Berger bullets I'll buy but these shoot great. The 85.5 gr. are excellent for shooting prairie dogs and longer range targets. I bought a box of 1,000 after testing and that'll be the end. The new barrel is a 1:7.5" twist also 28" long and a 1.25" straight. The only difference is that this one is a Bartlein. However, I find that I can use:

Re-25
VVN-565
H-1000
Ramshot Magnum

All 4 powders deliver fine accuracy in that node.

I forgot the OAL:

75/80 = 1.925 for my magazine fed bolt rifle

85.5 = 3.100" from my Defiance XM and it's magazine.

Enjoy!
Thanks
I should ya got a 8T
I think I will shoot some HH thru it till I get 5k then pull it.
Start over!!

AA4350 with Rem 7 1/2, especially with the 139g Lapua scenar-140 Berger vld Hunting is beyond awesome. 130g Berger VLD-H and 123g Lapua Scenar shoot pencil eraser size groups.
Both my 6.5x47's shoot good. Problem is I can't shoot that good! Sounds like you've got some excellent loads. 130 HVLD and 124 HH is what I'm running.

I have 4x 6mm's, a 257Rbts AI, I have 3x 7mm's, 2x 8mm's & a 9.3mm... I have a hole in the lineup @ 6.5mm. I have a factory Winchester stock in a short action, bottom metal, mag box, spring and follower for 243/308, a DBM and bottom metal for 243/308... Oh, and in need of a short action Model 70 donor.

What to do with all or part of this in a 6.5mm standard, non-mag cartridge? Don't really want to do a Creedmoor as I have a 6CM. The next best looking short action cartridge is looking like a 260AI...??

What say you?
6.5 Remington Mag 26" inch # 2 barrel. my other pick would be 6.5x55mm Swede or 6.5x57mm, yeah I like to be nostalgic in hunting cartridges. Good luck, Cheers

I like the performance of my 260AI, so I would go with that. I run a 28" tube on mine, so I can reach and break the 3,000fps with 140's. Thus I feel I am performing very well without the need for larger case capacity 6.5's. If I was wanting a shorter barrel and retain the 3,000fps of the 140's, then maybe something else.

I like the performance of my 260AI, so I would go with that. I run a 28" tube on mine, so I can reach and break the 3,000fps with 140's. Thus I feel I am performing very well without the need for larger case capacity 6.5's. If I was wanting a shorter barrel and retain the 3,000fps of the 140's, then maybe something else.
Just wondering what your brass life is like with the ackley.