Soliciting Suggestions for a 6.5mm Build

8x68s

I have 4x 6mm's, a 257Rbts AI, I have 3x 7mm's, 2x 8mm's & a 9.3mm... I have a hole in the lineup @ 6.5mm. I have a factory Winchester stock in a short action, bottom metal, mag box, spring and follower for 243/308, a DBM and bottom metal for 243/308... Oh, and in need of a short action Model 70 donor.

What to do with all or part of this in a 6.5mm standard, non-mag cartridge? Don't really want to do a Creedmoor as I have a 6CM. The next best looking short action cartridge is looking like a 260AI...??

What say you?

I have a hole in the lineup @ 6.5mm.

And .30 caliber.

I haven't bothered with anything on the .308 case except the .308 Win. which is a standard. There are enough 6.5s to make your rifle work without trying to stuff another case into the magazine without action/magazine modifications.

If you don't want the 6.5 Creedmoor then I suggest looking at the numbers for the 6.5x47 Lapua. This case has a decent capacity while being slightly shorter which allows for those higher BC, longer bullets.

I've been shooting the Sierra 130 gr. TMK and the Hornady 135 A-Tips for hunting and some longer range target shooting. If heavy bullets are on the menu, I'm using the Hornady 153 gr. A-Tips for hunting and the Berger 153.5 gr. Hybrid Target.

All of these bullets will make 850 yards with 1,800 FPS and over 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Enjoy the search!

:)

.260AI
20220205_080851.jpg

I want to say the Winchester SA is more like a medium action. I'd confirm this and if it measures out true a 260 AI sounds pretty good.

I have 4x 6mm's, a 257Rbts AI, I have 3x 7mm's, 2x 8mm's & a 9.3mm... I have a hole in the lineup @ 6.5mm. I have a factory Winchester stock in a short action, bottom metal, mag box, spring and follower for 243/308, a DBM and bottom metal for 243/308... Oh, and in need of a short action Model 70 donor.

What to do with all or part of this in a 6.5mm standard, non-mag cartridge? Don't really want to do a Creedmoor as I have a 6CM. The next best looking short action cartridge is looking like a 260AI...??

What say you?
My vote goes to the 260 rem or 6.5 Swede because you can buy Lapua cases for them. You can eliminate initial / first time brass prep with quality cases. IMHO. good luck with your build.

Please let me know if you go 260 Rem, I have a very nice competition bullet seating die with the dial on top you can have for your build.

Last edited:
I also really like both of my 6.5x47's. With that said, it's not going to run with a 260 AI velocity wise. But if the 6.5x47 has the performance you're looking for, it's a great choice. Very accurate and the brass lasts forever. I shoot 130 HVLD out of my practice rifle at 3000 FPS. My other one I use out of tree stands with the 124 HH at 2938. This is a mild load but shoots so good I'm just leaving it alone. This is out of 25-26" barrels.

I also really like both of my 6.5x47's. With that said, it's not going to run with a 260 AI velocity wise. But if the 6.5x47 has the performance you're looking for, it's a great choice. Very accurate and the brass lasts forever. I shoot 130 HVLD out of my practice rifle at 3000 FPS. My other one I use out of tree stands with the 124 HH at 2938. This is a mild load but shoots so good I'm just leaving it alone. This is out of 25-26" barrels.
That 6.5x47 sparks my interest too if highest velocity isn't a priority. Some of the powder charges are right in line with 22-250.

I'm going to get a little emotional here for a sec... It's really heartwarming (to me) to be able to ask a question on this forum and get real, honest answers from a small sector of the guys whose experience and knowledge I will always listen to... It's also good for one's own confidence in decision making when it's backed up by the people I respect. Thank you, Gentlemen!

I want to say the Winchester SA is more like a medium action. I'd confirm this and if it measures out true a 260 AI sounds pretty good.
The mag boxes I have in hand are going to limit COAL to 2.8". I was thinking that seemed pretty dang short considering everything else I have is long actioned. If I end up with a 6.5x47 that will help with longer bullets. If a .260AI I might be limited to 120-130gr bullets and that would be ok, too. To my way of thinking, beyond 140gr belongs in a .270 or 7mm cartridge. Just me...