So....we think our......

G

LOUDENBOOMERS ARE ACCURATE! Well....maybe so but take a gander at what the "Good Ole Boys" were doing with their rifles prior to 1860! Pay close attention to a "string match" that was fired by a Mr. T. Spencer in New York State in 1859....with BLACK POWDER no less!!

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/1860TargetRifle.asp#iv

Oh...by the way...he was shooting cast lead bullets!!

Wonder how they managed to hit anything without any proven BCs, no PDAs, no computerized printout, no laminated drop charts, no laser rangefinders, no digital wind meters?

buffalobob

Don't know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Beats the hell outa me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Maybe they just shot and hollered "SHXT ER REE"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Basically....I feel like they accomplished what they did because they DIDN'T HAVE ALL THIS STUFF!! They knew how to "read wind" also!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sharpsman, err Mr. mulhern,

They did the same as we do , better believe it ! They talked among themselves as to what worked and what didn't , they modified and were creative accordingly and they shot some marvelous groups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nothing new under the sun my friends, and as a matter of fact there are things we once knew that we have forgotten.

Think how cool it would be to go back to the "buffler" days with a "LSR' or similarly equipped rifle with a laser range finder and a palm with exbal ! daaaaangg ! sounds like a movie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just another way of looking at it , besides' Buffalobob doesn't have the hair for " back then " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif( cepting that part in Jeremiah Johnson where the mountain man kept his head shaved so the injuns couldn't scalp him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Jim

jimm

Man...I appreciate the respect but rather than making me feel older than I am....I'd appreciate ya dropping the Mr. Mulhern and just call me Rick! I've been called a lot of things much worse but Mr. Mulhern is akin to making me feel kinda like I oughta report to the nursing home! And I can still climb mountains...man!! Heee Yaaahhh yeah....Glory be onto you Sweet Jesus!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jimm

<<Jeremiah Johnson>>

Haaaa....those must have been the days!!

"You skin grizz Pilgram?"

That was old Bear Claw Chris Lapp what asked him that! Will Geer played the part to a T!

Jeremiah Johnson died in Los Angelos in 1905! He was in an old soldiers home there and about 5-7 years ago the people of Buffalo, Wyoming made a request to the federal authorites to move his body to Buffalo where he now rest right near the mountains he loved, hunted, trapped, and fought Injuns in! Robert Redford was a poor physical speciman for playing the part because old Johnson was nigh onto 6'5" tall and weighed in at around 260#! He wore two moccasins on his right foot and when asked by his trapping partner why...he told him..."My right foots what I kick them Injuns in the crotch with and it don't hurt my foot near as bad"! When the Blackfeet caught him and took him to their camp...it was in the dead of winter...COLD! Stripped him of all his clothing cept his leggins and moccasins and when a brave came in to feed him Johnson killed him and took his knife and cut off his leg at the hip joint and escaped through the snow! He was 200 miles from his home site and he ate the meat off that leg to survive! All the time the Blackfeet were after him, including the Crow that were on his trail! Eventually...he wiped out all 20 Crow that had been assigned the task to kill him!

Reckon he was tuff?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Mr,......Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Legend grew even bigger in some spots.

I've heard it said that he was good enough with the knife that the fella he stole the leg from didn't die.

I read the book years ago but don't remember anything like that.

He was pretty much the calibur of Lew Wetzel in one of the ZG booke...

Roy in I dee ho

Either way it's cut...he'd been a good man to have to your backside in a firefight!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ric,

Allrighty then ! and by the way , "Jim" will do for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif as I only needed that extra "M" to be able to register with a name I might remember /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Besides , once you pass 55 isn't there a law that everyone can just call you " old fart " ? Well....... thats what my boys told me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yeah , Redford was not the physical specimen Jeremiah was , but hey ! he sold more theater tickets than old " big and ugly" would have.

I have always had a soft spot for the old loudenboomers . , false muzzles ,tang sights ,hand graded black powder , biggg projectiles and the best for last..................herds of buffler to whang away at ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I gotta go now , we've killed so many deer today that I will be up all night cleaning and grinding the meat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I 'll put up some pix soon as I can. Jim Brown

Jim

What the ole boy say in Wyatt Earp ??? "I'm ya huckleberry!" Don't wear yaself plumb out now cleaning the deer! Git them young sprouts to do the main work if they know how!

Yep..."old fart" it can be! But....one of the BEST THINGS about becoming ONE....is that ya can say ANYTHING YA PLEASE.....and it don't make a "hoot n hells" difference cause noone pays any attention to what ya sayin other than maybe...."Didja hear whut thet ole SOB said?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guys,
I was struck with this affliction in the late 1980s when i handled a "Schuetzen" rifle circa 1880 while visiting family in Germany, i was fascinated by the heavy barrel, deep bellied stock, lavish ornamentation and a slick falling block action.

Edgar the owner said that many of these target rifles found their way to the US as war souvenirs after WWII but the best ones were hidden to stop them dissapearing out of the country.

Edgar also had a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps which i fell in love with. since then i have had a love/hate relationship with these rifles and have owned several.
I cast bullets, concocted lubes and graded powders, inhaled copious quantities of foul smelling grey smoke and scrubbed loads of black crud out of my barrels but had great fun.
Then i thought to my self why am i doing all this, when there are modern precision rifles to shoot, clean re-loading, no smoke, no filth and top accuracy. Sold the lot!
I did that three times and i am currently trying to suppress the urge to go and do it all again.

I think BPCR is in my blood and i will never be able to completely suppress it but the forward thinking on this site was helping, UNTILL YOU GUYS BROUGHT THIS SUBJECT UP.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Centre Punch

Well...ya see....I've ALREADY DONE....most of the stuff on this site so the NATURAL EVOLVEMENT was to those beautiful falling block rifles that are what all other rifles want to be when they grow up! But I still "dabble" in the SP arena also but I can do something that the LOUDENBOOMER guys can't do which is....lay down at 1000 yds. with my .45/90 or the .45/110, launch a 575 gr. all-lead cast bullet and roll over slightly and look through my spotting scope and watch that slug "whang" the steel plate I've just launched one at! Now....THAT'S A KICK IN THE ARSE if there ever was one!! And in this game....STAY HOME IF YOU CAN'T READ WIND!!

Hehehe!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Well ,truth is they can clean em ,do clean em and I pretty much just get in the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
BTW what is terminal velocity for such big pills at 1000 ? Never chronoed any so as far as that goes how fast are they starting out ?

I've always had a hankering to take a big buffler at 800 to a thou ,one shot ,clean kill . Just wish they were still free ranging someplace , can't get excited about busting someones "cow ".

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.