so i got this gun...

granillanutz

i recently obtained a model 70 338 xtr sporter. it has a burris ff 4x-7x. i also obtained a very stout reloading setup and a good bit of 338 rounds, hand loaded to different specs.
I've read a lot of post and watched a lot of videos on the outrageous recoil of this gun, and i was expecting the worst. Just today, i loaded the rifle for the first time, alone, hoping to get one shot in without anybody seeing me get a black eye or knocked over backwards. As i zero'd in on the 16 oz fanta orange can at 100 yards, i began to shake a bit. I slowly started to squeeze the trigger and then i squinted my eyes and clinched my teeth and the safety was on. Feeling rather silly i shook my head, and in the corner of my eye, i saw my own father. He had the biggest, stupidest grin on his face and he was pointing right at me. "I SAW THAT FLINCH!!!!" that old bastard laughed at me for 3 hours straight.
i normally deer hunt with an eddystone, which has a pretty substantial recoil, but the 338 wasn't as bad. i also duck hunt with 3.5 hevishot, which isn't as hard as the eddystone.
the trigger pull on the eddystone is sooooooo long and the model 70 is so crisp. That, and the addition of a scope, is a major transition for me.
I hope to gain a lot of info from your website and i appreciate what you do.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.