SO called experts talking about LONG RANGE SHOOTING....

I just happened to find this thread on the Varmint Hunters webpage today The V.H.A. Forum pertaining to Gordy and his article heres one of his quoetes

" Whenever I write an article that is published in Varmint Hunter Magazine, I get a lot of calls from interested people wanting more info. The current issue has my article on Extreme Range Shooting in it, and man has the phone been ringing off the wall. The magazine has only been out a few days and I can't believe how many calls I got already with people wanting to know more about how to do this themselves. It's a good thing I only answer my phone for three hours each day (2-5pm), or I'd never get any real work done:)

There is obviously a terrific amount of interest out there on long range shooting, so I'm glad people are getting a lot out of this article. To me, long range shooting is so very intriguing, and the more I do it, the more I learn and the better I like it.

I will soon be done with my next article on even more extreme range shooting - prairie dogs at over two miles, which hopefully everyone will find very interesting. Kinda crazy, but sure is fun!!"
Gordy Gritters.

This is the questions I asked him on the forum.

Hello Gordy, I have a few questions for you. What Caliber and Cartridge are you using at 2 miles? How big would your groups be at that distance? How much wind drift is encountered with say a 5 mile an hour wind? How many hits does it usually take you to hit a prarie dog at that distance?
And finally how many prarie dogs have you actually killed at these distances? Thanks for your response, quite interesting. Flybuster

What do you use to see a 2 mile P. Dog?

This may be ignorance on my part but how do you see a prarie dog at 2 miles. I was Antelope hunting the other day on my neighbors ranch and I couldn't find any in the town that we thought was about 2 miles away. There was bright sun with what seemed like minimal mirage as it was in the morning. Granted, I was looking at a tan background. I use a Swaro spotting scope with the big objective and at 60x I wouldn't have been much help to anyone shooting that far. I've found that if you get a whitetail buck over about 1200 yds. or so you can only tell if he "looks" like a good one. With limited lighting the range gets much shorter. The difference between a 140 and 160 inch buck would be very difficult if not impossible at 1 K so I have to assume a P. dog at 3500 + yards would be even harder. Kirby, Shawn, whoever, how do they do it?

BB
I asked that question myself, and they pretty much said optics then Ive seen pics since then with stuff that looks like a telescope some star gazer would use and saw someones range finder that looks like a LAW anti tank rocket launcher......I saw pics of that monster thing of a rifle 50 built for Lerch and Bill he had to send in two gun cases barrel&action in one and stock in another.

I lived in CO for four years, the air is much clearer out there than in the South, I have to guess that that helps alot.

I agree on judging a deer at a 1000 1200 yards but how the hell do you see a dog that far?

3800 Yds??

Eye-golly....I can't understand why you guys are gettin ya panties in a wad!! Shootin....3800 yds. ain't a problem at all! Just takes a bullet with a great BC....and BLACKPOWDER....plus a good FDCC!!

105MMHowitzer.jpg

So far I have done accuracy testing out to 3008 yards with my 338 Allen Magnum. I have tested many different chamberings out at ranges from 2300 to 2600 yards including: 257 AM, 6.5mm AM, 270 AM, 277 AM, 7mm RUM, 7mm AM, 308 Win, 300 Win Mag, 300 RUM, 30-378, 338 Lapua, 338-378 Wby and 50 BMG.

I did this to find the max range that I could get consistant accuracy to testing the super sonic bullet idea.

I was a bit suprised to see the results of this shooting. With conventional bullets such as the 162 gr A-Max, the 7mm RUM was limited to around 1600 yards with consistant groups. By that I mean sub moa and bullet impacts where they were supposed to repeatedly.

Jumping up to the 180 gr Bergers offered a good boost in max reach easily allowing me to reach out to 1900 yards with consistant bullet impacts.

Moving up to the extreme 200 gr ULD RBBT allowed me to push out to 2400 yards with accurate bullet placement and consistant bullet flight but not much past that point.

The best loads I have seen in the 300 RUM class of rounds would get around 2200 yards of consistant range before bullet flight and impact became inconsistant from shot to shot.

About the most ballistically potent rifle/chambering I have ever tested using conventional bullet designs is my 7mm AM loaded in a heavy, long barreled rifle. By that I mean a 34" pipe in a rifle of around 18 lbs. This combo allows the 200 gr ULD RBBT to be driven to 3400 fps in the correctly designed barrel and I have tested this combo out to 2800 yards with consistant bullet grouping and bullet trajectory. At 3000 yards, all is lost.

This will even out perform my huge 338 AM using the conventional 300 gr SMK or ULD RBBT loaded to 3400 fps. Terminal performance is not even a comparision but as far as shear ballistic performance, and remaining super sonic, the 7mm AM will top the 338 AM with this bullet as it maxes out at around 2700 yards with consistant bullet placement.

Now if you jump up into the class of bullet such as the new prototype Aluminum tipped bullets from Wildcat Bullets and load them to 3500 fps(out of my 33" light rifle!!!), for the first time, I have a combo at my 3500 ft altitude that the computer programs are telling is super sonic right 3000 yards. In testing at 3008 yards, I find these predictions to be true as I was getting 1 moa accuracy at that range which I personally feel is very good, if not world class.

Now, 2 miles, thats 3520 yards...... Thats over 500 yards past what I have been able to reach with the most extreme chambering and bullet on the market that I know of. To get a rifle to shoot consistant groups at that range would be something I would have to see to believe. I would say the best shot you would have would be a 338 AM with the right bullet choice but even then it will be a severely lucky shot to make a kill at that range on a P dog size critter.

I have heard of shooters taking the 308 WIn out to 2 miles. I just have to sit back and laugh at these comments and wonder what they mean by consistant accuracy at 2 miles with a 308 Win. Figure the best 308 loads will drop out of super sonic velocity at least then 1300 yards in most areas, you would still have 2220 yards for that bullet to travel consistantly and accurately after dropping out of super sonic velocity and passing through the trans sonic stages of velocity.

Now will a 308 bullet fired at 2650 fps reach 2 miles, certainly, if you put enough bullets in the air will you make a hit at long range, possibly. Does that mean you have effective and consistant performance at that range, certainly not!!!

Is it fun to try with the smaller calibers, yep, but it can become a waste of time to be honest if your goal is to get consistant grouping.

I know many, including myself are plenty happy to hold bullets into an moa group at extreme range. A close miss is often just as impressive as a hit at these ranges, espeically if you can do it repeatedly. Maybe that is what the author of this article is also doing but if you consider a +35" circle at 2 miles, you can put alot of air around a P. Dog in that circle so even if you have a rifle that will hold moa at that range, the hit % is EXTREMELY low, even with the best rifles in the world.

Is a hit required to be successful, again, certainly not, but consistant bullet flight and predictable bullet impact are critical to me.

Maybe not to others. I have no interest to throw a bullet in the air and then hit the glass to SEE where it may land, then throw another and see if this one lands close. If I can not get consistant grouping, I am not interested, thats why we are working to push the max range in our rifles as we are.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Whats the VHA got to do with Long Range Hunting?

I think they're trying to call out the smith in question on the forum he posts on (VHA). And I couldn't agree with you more Kirby. I've been able to teach relative newbies to shoot and hit things consistantly at 600-700 yards fairly easily. I still have a rough time at 1k yards...
The problem with this guy writing articles like this is it could potentially inspire some yahoo to start shooting at distance w/out practicing or taking proper steps of safety and will end up shooting someones pet or something and it'll give us - the long range community a black eye. Hopefully he comes to his senses instead of preaching his non-sense... Unfortunately what can you do...

A black eye to long range hunting is a black eye to hunting period, we all have a favorite way to hunt but when looked at by the nonhunter/antihunter a black eye is a black eye to us all. Kinda funny we attempt to seperate ourselves from each other but we are all still hunters.....

Down here I begin the season as a bow hunter Oct....then I become a youth guide for Katie (or any other kid that wants a chance) for a week early Nov....then a rifle hunter mid NOV...then Im A muzzle loader early DEC....then back to the rifle mid DEC....and then JAN 31 its all over!

Throw at least 1 Duck hunt into that.....oh yea a few days squirrel hunting(not really just an excuse to scout)....at least 1 dove hunt....Ive been stalking hogs(varmits) with a bow the last few afternoons....just something a lil different.

I will say that my passion is hunting whitetails but all in all a hunter is a hunter....and we all gotta I MEAN GOTTA.....GET ALONG!

Guess thats my rant for today! just to keep this on track we can argue till the sun comes up about equipment. I think mossy oak has that going on in a commercil about what color a leaf is for about 30 secs TV time. **** I got off in lala land with that one but its a good read ill leave it here!

Last edited:
"""""Kirby Allen can not make a rifle that will shoot minute of P. dog at 2 miles!!!!""""""

Laugh my *** off.

Does this mean I can't use the 338 AM you're building for me to shoot ground squirrels at two miles.

Geoff

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.