Smooshed cases with new Redding FL sizer die

270WSM

Sorry for being so long winded, I want to lay down all the facts.

I just cleaned up some cases to start relaoding for a friend and his 22-250. A little history on the gun: He bought it about 18 years ago at a gun store, custom thumb hole stock on a M98 Mauser action and a heavy barrel. Double set trigger set to about 3 oz. There's no markings on the barrel that say what caliber it is either (I think the store owner told him it was 22-250). Up until now, he's been shooting factory rounds, (probly 3-4000 since he bought the gun). I believe the twist is a 1-14" (using the cleaning rod measurement technique), and I can't seat the bullets out far enough to reach the lands. I imagine that it's probly shot out, but we're trying to see if we can improve on accuracty anyways (It's not too bad with factory, but not as good as it used to be). I picked up a set of standard redding FL and seater dies a few days ago.

Today, I setup the die to reach the shell holder (which is RCBS) and backed it off a half turn. Lubed up clean cases and sized the 1st case. Trimmed the case to length, chamfered and de-burred. Tried chambering, and it was a little easier than before sizing, but not nearly as easy as a new unfired case. I worked the die down 1/16 turn at time, sizing and then chambering the sized brass each time to set the die for easy chambering as explained by the Redding instructions.

When I got about 1/4 from the die touching the shell holder, it started crushing the side of the brass in (right below the shoulder). I then pulled a bullet on a new factory round, and proceeded to size this piece of brass as above (starting with the die 1/2 turn from shell hoder and working my way down). I had no problems sizing the factory brass. I sized it unitl the die was a half turn passed where it meets the shell holder (so my press is camming over).

I have a few ideas of possibilities, but would like to hear any thoughts from the experts. I don't want to size any more brass before I know what's going on, and I definately don't want to shoot any.

My thoughts on possilities:
1) RCBS shell holder is the cultprit (slightly different spec's than Redding shell holder?) Doesn't explain why unfired brass doesn't eventually crush.
2) Something going on with the die (probly fine, just have to set it up so it doesn't contact the shell holder) Same as above.
3) Headspace problem with the rifle, so brass is being over sized? Hard to believe considering the work that's in this rifle.
4) The rifle is actually a Ackley Improved.
5) Other

I'm fairly new to reloading, so I'm being cautious (which is good at any skill level /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Please let me know if you have an answer to my simptoms.

NOTE: I don't have any accurate measurement devices yet for case measurements. Only calipers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks,
Dana

If this is an early "Varminter" then it may not be consistant with the Remington version that came out around 1969.

I would just barely bump the shoulder in a full length die, and let it go at that.

#1 sincerely doubt that the shell holder is the problem.

#2 maybe not a standard 22-250 Remingtom chamber?

#3 doubtful, unless you see inciepient case head separation.

#4 one fired case will tell you if this is the situation, and ackley's are usually a few thousanths shorter, overall, when fireformed.

#5 could be almost anything, but it has been fired for many years without problems, so there is something going on with the handloading process, and my suspicion is a nonstandard chamber.

Good hunting. LB

edit: PS if that is an original Oberndorf Mauser with the double set triggers, it has value.

Thanks for the reply. The fired cases end up being longer and need trimming, so it's probly not an AI as you stated. I may go with your advice and just bump the shoulder. Thanks for the info.

PS: gun needs a new barrel soon anyways, time to turn it into an AI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I may also get a fired 22-250 round from someone elses factory stick and go through the resizing process and see if the case folds in my die (like my fired case). If it doesn't, we'll probly re-barrel before reloading for it (because the shoulder of my fired round has obviously moved quite a bit).

Oh yeah, how do identify the type of action you specified? Any clue?

It is most likely the type of lube. I would say you are probably using some sort of spray lube such as quick shot or dillon. Try the Imperial sizing wax.

The spray type is runny liquid and creates pressure inside the die as it makes a seal. When that happens the excess lube has to go somewhere, so it makes a pocket in the brass.

I'm using RCBS Case Lube, and not using an excess amount. If this was the case, I would think that the unfired case would also crush at some point. The cases are being massively crushed. It's a good thought though.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.