280AI problems with sizer die

longbowelk

If I haven't already had enough problems with my 280AI let me add to my misery. I was in the process of the final stage of seating the 160 gr Speer 160 SPBT. I had already completed some last night. I had 5 left of about 15. I felt no resistance when the bullet was seated. I actually pulled the bullet by hand. I tried a couple more with same result. Ok, I must not have sized them so I dumped the powder and ran back through the Redding 280AI sizing die and felt no resistance in this process. Normally I have a good amount of resistance but not now. I tried several in that batch with same results. Si, I had a few more I could sub in. Same results. This set of dies is fairly new and only had about 50 run through. Is it me? Or the dies suddenly went to poop? See video here,

Is it different brass? Different brass can have different neck thickness which could attribute to necks not getting resized right. Is it a bushing die and bushing is in correct? Or maybe your die setting got bumped and your not running them high enough in the die? Just a few possibilities

Is it different brass? Different brass can have different neck thickness which could attribute to necks not getting resized right. Is it a bushing die and bushing is in correct? Or maybe your die setting got bumped and your not running them high enough in the die? Just a few possibilities
This is all new Hornady 280 brass. These particular cases are on their 2nd firings. These are not bushing dies. I did not bump the shoulders since they dont get to complete fire forming until 2nd firing. As far as the die not set up properly when I do the full length sizing right now I have it set to be just off the shoulder. I am checking the headspace so if needed I can adjust to bump. The internal shaft is going through the neck plenty. It's just not doing anything. After I fire the loaded rounds I will try to reload again and see if it works. If I get same results I'll contact Redding.

IME experience with the 280AI I have tried every brand of standard 2 set dies out there. (Several friends have AI s too) In terms of minimum case distortion and accuracy The Lees are the best. If I went nuts I'd buy the Redding bushing neck sizing die, have one lot of 100 cases, select the right bushing and load w/o the neck expander.

This is all new Hornady 280 brass. These particular cases are on their 2nd firings. These are not bushing dies. I did not bump the shoulders since they dont get to complete fire forming until 2nd firing. As far as the die not set up properly when I do the full length sizing right now I have it set to be just off the shoulder. I am checking the headspace so if needed I can adjust to bump. The internal shaft is going through the neck plenty. It's just not doing anything. After I fire the loaded rounds I will try to reload again and see if it works. If I get same results I'll contact Redding.
Ok. I guess I'm my own culprit. After rethinking it through, I went back and reset the die to just reach the shoulder. I created my own problem as the die was set too high and wasn't sizing the neck. I think I have a better understanding of the sizing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts