Die Problems??

I Have a Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die For .204 Ruger and the Depriming Rod is Extremely Loose, I Can Move it Around With My Fingers Inside The Die Body. Is This Normal?... If Not How Can I Fix It? It Appears That There Is No Way To Put Added Tension On The Rod.

That's how my lee collet die is for my 7RM. I think it's designed to 'float' until the case enters the collet. It took some getting used to since this die is so much different than other types of dies I used. At first, I wasn't sure it was doing anything. I ruined a couple cases by not having the die screwed in far enough. After getting used to it, I do like it and have shot some good groups. I have gone 3 or 4 loads without FL sizing. The debate is still on weather or not neck sizing really extends brass life..... that's another thread. I think the problem with brass life and FL dies is excessive sizing of most factory dies.

That's how my lee collet die is for my 7RM. I think it's designed to 'float' until the case enters the collet. It took some getting used to since this die is so much different than other types of dies I used. At first, I wasn't sure it was doing anything. I ruined a couple cases by not having the die screwed in far enough. After getting used to it, I do like it and have shot some good groups. I have gone 3 or 4 loads without FL sizing. The debate is still on weather or not neck sizing really extends brass life..... that's another thread. I think the problem with brass life and FL dies is excessive sizing of most factory dies.

+1 one everything goose said. I load several cartridges with the Lee Collet dies. The decapping rod/neck sizing rod is loose and it centers itself when sizing. The trick for me was getting the same neck tension on each case by applying the same pressure on the press handle each time. I like those dies now.

-- gr8whyt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.