Convert FL sizer to FL bushing sizer?

shawnb

I have a custom whidden full length sizing die that isnt sizing the neck enough. Have any of you had a machinist/gunsmith open up the neck portion of a sizer die to accept a bushing? I dont want to go through the hassle of shipping it back from canada. i dont think they would make it right since my old man put it in the utrasonic cleaner which turned it black and i had to polish the inside like crazy to get it to not stick a casing no matter how much lube was on it.

It only sizes around .0005 neck tension. Maybe less because sometimes i can push a bullet in by hand.

So back to the machining.... anyone done it? Maybe i should just order a blank wilson hand die to neck size after sizing the body with the sizing die.

Im just to indecisive haha.

Last edited:
I have a custom whidden full length sizing die that isnt sizing the neck enough. Have any of you had a machinist/gunsmith open up the neck portion of a sizer die to accept a bushing? I dont want to go through the hassle of shipping it back from canada. i dont think they would make it right since my old man put it in the utrasonic cleaner which turned it black and i had to polish the inside like crazy to get it to not stick a casing no matter how much lube was on it.

It only sizes around have around .0005 neck tension. Maybe less because sometimes i can push a bullet in by hand.

So back to the machining.... anyone done it? Maybe i should just order a blank wilson hand die to neck size after sizing the body with the sizing die.

I feel like cost of machining would be pretty significant. Why not just buy a new die (bushing or non bushing)?

I figured it would be cheaper for the machining than the die. buying a new one would be the best option but i figured the most expensive as well since its a wildcat chamber.

Well i just got off the phone with whidden and they said to ship it back and they will turn it into a bushing die and polish it all back up for free as warranty.

Problem solved with great customer service!

Now hopefully the border cooperates haha

It only sizes around .0005 neck tension. Maybe less because sometimes i can push a bullet in by hand.

Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision does that work. He will also custom hone dies

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.