Smoker methods.

Got me a pit boss pellet smoker and wondering if I should use a pan when smoking meats like brisket or ribs or directly on the rack?
What do you do?
I have a Reqtec and smoke real often. I have never used a pan of water, however I will spritz the meat during the process if it looks like it is dry. Good luck and happy smoking.

I might have to try a small section of Boston Butt marinated in teriyaki sauce then smoked. It can be hard for me to adjust the temps on my Smokey Mountain. I'm still learning. Once I get that under control I want to try a brisket. Sounds soooooo awesome.
Not familiar with the Smoky Mountains, what type of controls do they have?

Sound delicious
Teriyaki sauce is easy to make. I like Yamasa brand soy sauce. 50/50 mix of sugar and soy sause. Add chopped up garlic and fresh ginger root. If you like add some mirin or sake to taste. Alittle heat helps dissolve the sugar, not boiling but a slow boil or simmer is fine. We like to marinate chicken thighs for three days and then indirect heat bbq. Be careful not to heat directly or you set the sugar on fire! If smoked I'd place a pan underneath and then finish off on a grill or bbq to crispy up the skin.

Not familiar with the Smoky Mountains, what type of controls do they have?
Out of the box, very little. They're like an old school charcoal grill with vents you open/close to adjust the temperature.

There's several aftermarket temperature controls for them I don't remember the brand of mine, but it has a fan you mount to the smoker, a temperature probe inside, and a control unit. You plug it all in, light the charcoal, set the temperature, and let it run. It's great for things that need to smoke for 12 or 14 hours. I feel comfortable letting it run unattended overnight so I can get decent sleep and still have meat ready for lunch.

Out of the box, very little. They're like an old school charcoal grill with vents you open/close to adjust the temperature.

There's several aftermarket temperature controls for them I don't remember the brand of mine, but it has a fan you mount to the smoker, a temperature probe inside, and a control unit. You plug it all in, light the charcoal, set the temperature, and let it run. It's great for things that need to smoke for 12 or 14 hours. I feel comfortable letting it run unattended overnight so I can get decent sleep and still have meat ready for lunch.
Could you post a picture? I've never even heard of that. That would be a big help for mine.

None really other than vents. They used charcoal briquets so you get some flavor from the charcoal too. I have the small one because just two in our family. https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/charcoal-grills/smokey-mountain/
Gotcha. Yeah that's old school and good stuff. Takes time and experience to get the right combo for airflow just right for what you're trying to do. That is an art lol. Maybe a meat thermometer, (the ones with wire to run outside to plug into remote), just lay it on the grate to know what grill temp is and adjust the vents till you get consistent. Just an thought/idea.

Gotcha. Yeah that's old school and good stuff. Takes time and experience to get the right combo for airflow just right for what you're trying to do. That is an art lol. Maybe a meat thermometer, (the ones with wire to run outside to plug into remote), just lay it on the grate to know what grill temp is and adjust the vents till you get consistent. Just an thought/idea.
Those are valid ideas that I've thought of trying too. but I just don't smoke that often so I can't justify it yet. I rely on my chi and sometimes using the "Force" to monitor temps ;). There is a thermometer on the Weber but some say it's not reliable.

Could you post a picture? I've never even heard of that. That would be a big help for mine.
The one I have is the BBQ DigiQ Guru DX2. It looks like they have a DX3 out now.

You have to drill a hole in the side for a tube the fan mounts to, but it's no big deal.

There's other similar products out there too- this just happens to be the one I have experience with.

Attachments

• 20220609_130624.jpg
    20220609_130624.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220609_130643.jpg
    20220609_130643.jpg
    920 KB · Views: 17
Memphis here and I put directly on the rack to start, but the indirect insert is over the pellet pit. Not the best unit for the task, but far more foolproof for folks like me. Pretty much use the 3-2-1 method on ribs. Brisket, it starts on the rack also. IMHO, either requires a good piece of meat to have good results. Even the best grill master can't fix a bad piece of meat.

Attachments

• 8E69DA59-5EEF-4FD1-BF5D-D6518E6F2F58.jpeg
    8E69DA59-5EEF-4FD1-BF5D-D6518E6F2F58.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • A4943AFA-474A-454D-9A62-04C0D8AEE563.jpeg
    A4943AFA-474A-454D-9A62-04C0D8AEE563.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Another 'Pit Boss' lover here! I like using the "3-2-1" method mentioned by @wasskeet 😉

Another 'Pit Boss' lover here! I like using the "3-2-1" method mentioned by @wasskeet 😉

A53926FE-7C13-43A2-833F-46CEBA8B0B33.jpeg
I got the combo since my gas grill was old and on its way out. Starting about a 5 pound brisket in the morning!